Author Topic: How do I???  (Read 3048 times)

Graywolf

How do I???
« on: November 15, 2012, 11:29:56 am »
I am making my daughter-in-law a quilt rack that hangs on the wall. The problem is I want to do something on the top. My Delta saw is only 18" and the rack is 50 1/2". Am I going to have to revert to my saber saw??? Sure would like to use my scroll saw though.   :(

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: How do I???
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:19:47 pm »
Not to be smart.............. but have you considered Spiral blades.
I don't no what a     Quilt rack looks like.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:25:12 pm »
Yep, spiral blades should work. I personally am not a lover of them but needs must, so give them a try.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:39:41 pm »
yep i'm with the spiral blades as well.i don't get along with them very good but i think it's the way to go for that project!

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 04:13:46 pm »
Hey Graywolf, Something you might consider is cutting the rail in sections small enough to cut on your scroll saw, then assemble the rail with pocket holes on the back side. I have done this with pretty good success.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:47:55 pm »
SPIRAL BLADES!!!!!!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:02:18 pm »
If you decide to use spiral blades and haven't used them before you might want to practice some first. ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Graywolf

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 10:41:55 am »
Thanks, guys. I did think about spiral blades, but like someone said I don't get along with them. Good news is I have some FD spirals and have used them before. DGMan I did think about cutting the rack into pices and then dowel them back together, but rejected that. I am going to give the spirals a try. I need to learn how to use them anyway.

A quilt rack is what you hang quilts/blanket on. The come in all shapes and sizes and can set on the floor or hang on the wall. What I am building is a rack that uses a 1 X 4 with trim running on the top of it. Screws will come through the back with knobs to tighten the trim on the quilt to secure it. It is for a wall hanging.

Thanks again

Gary

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 11:35:42 am »
Have you considered doing an overlay.  Cut out your project and then attach it to the rack?
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 12:19:39 am »
Do you have a router or a router table?  If so, cut patterns out of mdf of a length appropriate to your saw, then attach them end to end to make a full size pattern.  Use a flush trim or pattern bit with your router to cut the actual solid wood piece.  Just be sure to make the cut in several light passes so as not to bite off too much at once.  You still get to use the scroll saw, just not on the final piece.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 08:00:00 am »
Just another thought - I have heard of using a pair of pliers (your choice of style) to twist your standard blade 90 degrees (whichever direction you prefer) and then go with the cutting.  Not sure if this will work with your scenario, but thought it might.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Graywolf

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 05:32:44 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys. Sometimes I think it would be nice if someone would build a saw where you could turn the blade 90 deg. I had a saber saw that had a knob on top of the blade where you could do that.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys. Sometimes I think it would be nice if someone would build a saw where you could turn the blade 90 deg. I had a saber saw that had a knob on top of the blade where you could do that.

They do have one, but all the rich guys snub my little Harbor Freight saw. With it I can put a blade in at a 90 degrees. Never had the reason to though. Well without having a Harbor Freight cheap saw, I would suggest a spiral blade. =)

Offline scrollriffic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 08:23:07 am »
I have 2 things that I do to cut bigger pieces. First you can twist your blade 90 degrees and that will give you more cutting room. Also you can put the blade in backwards and cut. i usually stand behind the saw when I do that. I do not use spiral blades and I have cut 36'' crosses on my 18'' Heigher saw. Bobby

ksaws

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 09:07:21 pm »
if this helps..... i cut this sign with a  spiral blade (and my saw is only 16'') the sign is 21'' by 14''. I first tried a regular blade and only got 5-8'' then it hit the neck, changed to spiral and BINGO , I've been sawing for 11 months and thought I would never be able to use a spiral blade, all you have to do is go slow and practice practice practice, also the right tension and speed also is a factor because the blade will walk with you more easy....just my two cents worth.

SMF

Teknoromi