Author Topic: Vibration on Wood Floor  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Vibration on Wood Floor
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:04:07 am »
I have an Ex 21 and can only run 50% -75% speed due to vibration caused by wood floor. I have heard of people cutting holes in floor  and using pvc pipe filled with concrete under the stand legs or making a sac crete slab under the floor beneath the saw stand. I have thought of placing a piece of plywood across the bottom stand supports and placing sac cret on it . Any thoughts or ideas? I don't have a problem running my saw slow, except when cutting 1/2-3/4" material I really need more speed.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Vibration on Wood Floor
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:15:07 am »
When I bought my first scroll saw, the stand that came with it was really bad.  So bad that I almost gave up the saw due to vibration and discomfort while sawing.  I finally found a site that had a plan for a custom table (Steve's Site) but that was before I was aware of the scope of his blog. Bottom line -  I built the table with a couple of modifications and suddenly scrolling was much more fun.  The vibration was greatly reduced and I made mine so I could sit in a regular dining table chair. I used several until I found the one that was best for me and then measured the height of the seat.  I covered the table top with a rubber backed piece of indoor outdoor carpet. My table sits on a wood floor.  My shop is a pre made shed that was delivered and set on site. Nothing special.  I have since upgraded to a Dewalt saw and I did the nickel test a couple of weeks ago and it passed!  The table workes great for me. 
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:01 pm »
I used to have a bag of sand on the bottom rails of my saw. It added enough weight to the stand to keep the saw from vibrating across the floor. I re-arranged my shop and now I have that saw up next to the wall and as long as I rest my feet on the saw it doesn't vibrate too much, although I might put the sand bag back to test it.

My other saw is bolted to my large, heavy, work bench.

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:45:21 pm »
Tony,

Like Katie, I use bags of sand on my stand to keep vibrations down.  My floor is wood also, but two 50lb bags of sand laid on a piece of plywood that spans the cross pieces of the stand have made it extremely stable!

Hope this helps,

Glen

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:26:40 pm »
Thank ya'll for your input and advice. I took my stand apart and put a piece of 3/4 plywood on bottom cross bars and put two 80# sac crete on plywood. It really helped with vibration; turned speed up to about 90% before feeling vibration!

Tony,aka,Toneman

SMF

Teknoromi