Author Topic: Sleep apnea  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Sleep apnea
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:05:11 am »
I go sleep over tonight for my second sleep apnea
(I don't know how to spell it and am too lazy to look it up  :D)
Of course I am assuming they are going to say I have it since they are testing me the second time.

anyone had experience ...good or bad?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
Re: Sleep apnea
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:18:25 am »
Hi Judy, I was told that the cure can be worse than the problem, be careful of what they try and tell you. I was told I needed the tests, but after really speaking to a sleep center manager, we decided it wasn't worth it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:07:04 pm »
Have two friends with it...one uses a CPAP device and the other went thru the surgery on the uvula...seems it was dropping back into the throat and blocking off the breathing.

No matter what 'they' say....GET ANOTHER OPINION!

Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:24:45 pm »
Yeah, been there done that and have well worn tee shirt! I've been using a CPAP for several years. Its now my best friend at night. I can usually sleep thru the night and wake refreshed. It takes a while to get the right mask but worth it to me. Have a friend that went the other route (surgery) and he's happy with it, just has to be careful eating. If you have sleep apnea you need to do something, its dangerous not doing anything.
Bill

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 04:49:32 pm »
Our bedroom looks like a space ship as the wife uses a CPAP for the last 6 or 7 years and I use a BiPAP for the last 2 years.  They started me out on a CPAP but I still kept stopping breathing too much so they switched me to a BiPAP and I sleep  so much better than I had in years.  Dr. told me I was one of the worst he had ever seen, as I stopped breathing several hundred times a night.  I now sleep all night and a lot of nights don't even get up for a bathroom run where I used to go 3 to 6 times a night.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:27:26 pm »
A friend has sleep apnea and has been wearing a CPAP for well over 5 years.  It makes a great difference in the quality of the sleep and in the amount of energy available during the day.  It took a while trying different masks to get the right one - the supplier of the unit allowed testing 4 or 5 different masks, at no charge, which helped a lot.

It does take a bit of time to get used to the mask but if you a CPAP, don't give up on it as the results are worth it.  Extreme cases of untreated sleep apnea could result in gangrene and amputation of the lower legs!!

Most CPAP machines work with distilled water to humidify the air.  The cheapest place to get distilled (not bottled), is a the local wine making store.  In Montreal, it runs $2 for 10 litres (2.6 USG). 

Another thing for travelers, the airport security will allow you to bring a liter or two on board - for the CPAP.  The CPAP is considered a medical device so it doesn't count in the number of bags you can carry on board.  Check with your air security organization for the details.

I recommend carrying the CPAP prescription, or a copy of it, with you and also that you ask the doctor to specifically write "distilled water" on the prescription.

Best of luck and remember, if you need it, use it.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:20:02 pm »
 i had the test in Dec., i was so bad i didn't have to go back a second time. i quit breathing 101.9
times an hour. i had trouble driving. when i went to VA hospital which is 2 hours away i had to
hire a driver. now i drive myself. i fell asleep at my scrollsaw all the time. now no problems. i had trouble first 6 weeks,now i wouldn't trade mine for anything. one mans opinion termite

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »
Had it!  Was on cpap for a year, but I had problems with the mask.  I wear a full beard and a mustache, so fit is difficult.  I also toss and turn a lot. 
Whenever I did, the mask leaked and the sound awoke me.  Insurance changed after a year, so I just quit using it.  I had lost some weight, and it just doesn't seem to bother me anymore.  I assume that the change is due to the weight loss.  Of course I still need to lose a lot more, but that's another story.  Best of luck!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:34 pm »
Bill, my friend who wears a CPAP swears by a mask that has a little nub that goes in each nostril and wouldn't change.  That type, called a nasal pillow mask, should work with a beard and mustache.

Something to remember if you need to back on the CPAP.

This site http://www.sleepnet.com/apnea/apneainf.html has a lot of information on CPAP usage and many people's experience.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 10:50:47 am »
My wife went thru the tests about 2 years ago and was told to use the CPAP machine.  It helped her a lot, but she hated the mask and would often take it off during the night.  Then she had heart problems and that made a believer out of her so she lost over 50 pounds and no longer needed the CPAP. 

It may have some nuisance value, but consider the alternative!  Breathing or not.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 11:10:28 am »
I love my machine, b4 I could not  drive more than an hour or  2 and start falling asleep at the  wheel, I would fall asleep waiting for an appointment or anywhere, even would fall asleep at work while doing something.  All that has changed.
EX-21

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 05:41:15 pm »
Boy I sure learned a thing or two about this.  Surprised me as to how many of our Scrolling Family have this problem.  Is it possible that breathing all the fine saw dust could be a factor to this?  Just curious....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 06:08:50 pm »
I doubt it, I remember a few years back when my wife was working at the  hospital one  of  the Drs. said he went to a hunting camp and when they arrived it was a scramble to find a  bed with a receptacle close enough to plug in their CPAPs.  Lately it seems more people are being diagnosed with sleep apnea.
EX-21

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:51:15 am »
I am so glad you posted this. My mom is going to be tested for it in the near future, and this will be helpful to remember.
I love this site and all of you!

SeanR

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 07:14:19 pm »
I also use a Cpap. I have a goatee and use the nasal pillows. And like most who use them here I would not be without it now. As for two visits that is what they like you to go through so they can get a really solid reading. It will help them to determine what your settings will need to be on the machine.

If you need it do not hesitate to get it. once you get used to it you wont want to sleep without it :) And make sure to clean the hose and face piece/nasal pillow often! It can get yucky if you let it go for a long time  :o

Sean

SMF

Teknoromi