Author Topic: Portrait patterns  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Martin

• View Profile
Portrait patterns
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:01:50 pm »
Hi all, I feel a bit 'cheeky' asking here when I have been around such a short while and only made a couple of posts, but the worst that can happen is I'll be ignored. :) So here goes.

I have a couple of young Russian friends on ICQ who I have been helping with their English, and in return they have been helping me learn some Russian. In two years I have already learned the words for 'register', 'login', and 'download'. ;D Having seen some of the brilliant patterns and the portraits that have been  made from them, I thought I'd like to (attempt to) make a couple as presents for them, maybe in time for next christmas. :D I've had some success at making sketches from their photos, but making patterns from them seems to be beyond me, even with all the good tips around the forum. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out and make one, or hopefully two, patterns for me. I'll post two photos of each person in case one of them is better for making a pattern and cutting.

Thanks, Martin.

Thanks, Martin.

larrykray2005

Re: Portrait patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:53:36 pm »
Heres my try at one.

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 05:42:42 pm »
Thank you very much, Larry! I was just about to head off up the wooden hill to bed when I noticed I still had Firefox open on this page, so I did a refresh and spotted your pattern. :)

Old Crow

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 06:08:35 pm »
Hi Martin, Here is my take on Marina. There is a lot of cutting in the hat and scarf, you may want to change those.
Please post a pic if you cut it.
Don R

larrykray2005

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:21:16 pm »
Alot of cuttin Don  :o. He might just be finished for xmas lol. Great pattern though. I tryed that one first but had to much detail for me.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:34:25 pm »
2 great looking patterns, and as you say Don, there is a lot of fine cuts in the hat and scarf, that will keep him busy cutting till next Christmas lol
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Old Crow

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 06:52:13 pm »
Well, it is for a Christmas gift so he has time if he doesn't take on many more projects!! ;D
Don R

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:41:16 pm »
Don , beautiful pattern,as always :)

Here is my attempt on Yana 2 picture, Martin, except for one picture, which Don made pattern of it, rest are very small pictures.
Mahendra
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:46:04 pm by Tomsunnu »
mahendra

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:08:03 am »
Oh, wow! Thank you very much, Don and Mahendra! I joked about christmas, but as I am relatively new to scrolling, it might turn out to be about right. :)

Mahendra, the size of the photo never occured to me, and two of them were reduced somewhere between Photobucket and the forum.

Assuming I have done this correctly, the attachments below should hopefully be better.

Thanks again, all.

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 07:56:30 am »
Martin, here is my second attempt on the new pictures-still... quality a bit low :) but I gave my best shot, I think I messed up a bit on Marinas hair :-\

I hope you like the patterns, I certainly enjoyed making them :)

Mahendra
mahendra

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:45:12 am »
Many thanks, Mahendra, it really is appreciated.

Here's my first attempt. I think I am going to need lots of practice before I tackle Don's pattern, but I'll get there eventually.

The strange colouring is because it was a piece of scrap ply that had been painted. I just sanded it smooth instead of removing all the paint as I'm only practising.

cameronj

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 11:54:31 am »
Great designs by both of you.  Great detail, too.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 03:28:30 pm »
Here's another to try. You might want to simplify the hair by just cutting it black. The rest should be pretty simple cutting.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 04:24:11 pm »
Wow, I still can't get over all the amazing patterns you guys are producing.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 05:29:07 pm »
Here's another to try. You might want to simplify the hair by just cutting it black. The rest should be pretty simple cutting.

Thank you! I had some scrap 3mm ply given this evening so I'll have fun practising with all these patterns and make a decision later which I will use. I could maybe even use parts from more than one pattern.

One thing I have discovered while playing with these patterns is that I need a scroll saw with a top arm that lifts out of the way. Getting the blade through holes near the middle can get frustrating.

Martin.

SMF

Teknoromi