Author Topic: Wood Gear Switchplates  (Read 5479 times)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Wood Gear Switchplates
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 02:46:03 pm »
I put together one like the picture, just not quite as pretty. But mine pretty much works. I took some pictures of the process to explain how I built it and what I would do differently. you can see the pictures at the link below.
https://plus.google.com/photos/106592425359885645085/albums/5766575389088828097?authkey=CN7xg6rJ7YXX_AE
To save space, I did not put the pictures in the pdf. I wanted you to be able to download it from the site. If you can't see the pictures at the link above, let me know and I will come up with a different idea. I put the patterns for the pieces in the pdf you can download below.

Dan-
I like to think of steam-punk as the beautification of the industrial revolution. Typically Victorian era technology with a rube Goldberg type of complexity to do modern things. Like the light switches, instead of just flipping the switch you pull the lever that, though gears or fulcrums, flips the switch.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 03:35:17 pm »
Katie to the rescue! Thanks for your work, I bet you had a lot of fun creating it! I hope Janet can do something with this!
 And thanks for the explanation of the term steam-punk.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 04:00:52 pm »
MRSN  I like you definition of steampunk  Nice design too!  GB  I went to the site  and well wish I hadn't
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

cherie

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 08:47:59 am »
WOW Katie, you did a great job with the project and the photo's to boot! 

northie66

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 10:32:15 am »
I'm not really back per say.  Not really into scroll sawing much anymore.  Just lost my passion for it.  I'm going to sell my saw.

Glad to see everyone is doing well.  I'm still around via email :)

Janet

northie66

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 10:36:55 am »
mrsn - Did you just "throw that together"?!   :o   That's awesome!  I was thinking there might be a place to buy the wood gears and stuff.  Like Dan said, they look laser cut.  I seriously doubt I could cut them well enough to work... I'd be sitting in the dark forever.  :P

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 10:53:28 am »
Yeah that was pretty much thrown together. I think you could cut these out, they are not too difficult. Gears with all of the teeth can be a challenge if you need them to work, but a little extra careful sanding usually fixes that.
Sorry to hear you are leaving the craft. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 07:01:24 am »
OK, I learned my "something new" thing for today. 

SMF

Teknoromi