Author Topic: Home made scroll saw gloves  (Read 6699 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Home made scroll saw gloves
« on: January 06, 2014, 07:50:37 pm »
Well I had a heck of a idea and it works or at least helps. I got my new saw in and one thing I noticed is the table was very cold and cutting small things the side of my hand or hte heel of my hand would rest on the cold table, I needed gloves but as we know thats hard to change blades. So I had a pair of old used brown jersey gloves, you can get them cheap at dollar store, I cut the finger tips off, at about the first knuckle. This allowed my fingers to be able to grab small bits and change blades as well as move the blade to other holes, but also keeps the rest of hand warm off the cold table top. My old saw I had a wood over lay to keep from fighting rust. But on the new EX I don't need that and the top does get very cold.

Just thought I would pass this along to those cutting in cold conditions like me still have a heater in the garage or shop but its not enough to make the table warm, so I come up with this idea, and the best part is the gloves are cheap can get like a 2-4 pack for like a couple bucks works out to like a dollar a pair so if they wear out or tear well go get another pair.

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
Re: Home made scroll saw gloves
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:43:20 am »
Hi, an other way to get warm hands is, glow under the table ptc heat elements. They gives in different sizes and outputs.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:43 am »
I've seen the same thing on my EX21 - that cold table is hard on your wrists. The gloves are a good idea. It might also help to direct a lamp close to the table at the back to warm it up.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Laurentian

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:15:14 pm »
Why don't you Put a hair-dryer or a heat-gun underneath for a while before scrolling...it might warm-up things for you...

Just my 2?

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:56:25 pm »
My wife made me  a couple of pair of "fingerless mitts" a few years back for the same reason.  The do keep the cold off you hand and wrist but for me I need to "feel the wood"  Often I will wear on on my left hand and keep the right free.. Een thought it can be cold feeling and touching the wood, feeling the cut and the slight vibration of the bland and saw a a part of it. I have been known to aim the heater at the table for a bit before cutting and that too helps.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 03:48:15 am »
never thought of gloves.
but scrolling in the basement guess the saw doesn't get cold enough to try.
think the finger-less is the best option, had some in my old job and they give good control.

other idea:...
start with a 350 holes fretwork and don't burn your fingers on it ;)

LOL
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 06:58:49 pm »
When working in the cold garage I place a small Quartz heater directly under the table of my DeWalt and direct the airflow toward me.
It keeps the table warm & also adds the benefit of putting heat right towards me.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline TheCamMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 08:52:30 am »
When working in the cold garage I place a small Quartz heater directly under the table of my DeWalt and direct the airflow toward me.
It keeps the table warm & also adds the benefit of putting heat right towards me.

~~~GB~~~

just remember your creating very fine dust that can and will fall on the heater. id keep a fire extinguisher handy.  :)
Jeff Walters

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 12:54:14 am »
Four years ago My Dear Brides children got me a pair of fingertipless gloves and they are really great.  Very warm and hard material so no stabbing things go thru them.  They are made by DeWalt.

Claymore

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »
I bought some cheap Neoprene Fishing gloves.... the thumb and index finger on each glove will fold back so you can feel the wood but the rest is lovely and cosy and has rubber palms so plenty of grip.
Gets pretty chilly here in Scotland in winter (but warmer than you guys over the pond) and anything that makes the workshop more comfortable to work in is always a bonus  :)
Cheers
Brian

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 05:56:06 pm »
I do not like the cold and the older I get the less I like it. So I usually fire up the kerosene heater about a 1/2 hr before I start then have a electric heater by my while I am cutting.

pddesertrat

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 06:14:30 pm »
My wife got me a pair of fingerless work gloves with pretty strong magnets on the backs.  The theory is you can put screw or nails or whatever on the backs and have them "handy" so to speak when they are needed.  Well guess what happen when I walk too close to some metal machine with them on.  Slap! there is the back of my hand stuck to the metal!! ::) :o

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 10:50:28 am »
Neg 5 F yesterday AM in central Ohio. Working in the shop yesterday I had to direct my breathing to one side - the fog was so thick from the cold that I could not see then saw blade. Brrrrrrr.

BTW - don't forget to bring your PVA glue into a warm space so it doesn't freeze up.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi