Author Topic: cheep wood  (Read 3014 times)

canadasgall

cheep wood
« on: May 01, 2010, 06:13:53 am »
i was walking around my favorite store(dollar store lol) and i found a bamboo cutting board it looked pretty interesting so i picked one up took it to my shop and gave it a try at my saw. it cut nice and i even able to plain it(had to try)so i went back and grabed a bunch more. they are great for mini clocks tea light holders anything that requires thin wood ect... they are about 2feet long and afoot wide half an inch think nice straight grain and kind of orangy yellow color. i would post picts of things i used it for but i am not able to upload picts. cant figure it out..well just thought i would share my latest find with everyone.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Re: cheep wood
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:33:15 am »
Great idea.  I found some pine frames at Hobby Lobby and Jo-Anns that were wide enough to scroll designs along the borders.  They were also unfinished.

northie66

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:22:45 pm »
Good idea. I cut a bamboo cutting board before... and it was great!  My mother wanted me to make a cross out of it.  I made 2... one to hang on her wall and another to hang in her car.

cherie

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:45:46 pm »
A bamboo cutting board, I guess I will have to check out the dollar store now.  Thanks for the tip Janet.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 11:20:43 pm »
Good idea.  Thanks.

Barry

northie66

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:59:23 pm »
Canadasgall - did you stain it?  I left mine unstained.  I don't even think I polyed it.

canadasgall

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 05:45:28 am »
i left mine natural just a light sanding that was it.

supershingler

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:34:58 pm »
another source for cheap wood it in the bargin bin at your hardwood flooring store.  i work for a lumberyard so im alway looking at the pallets that come in that we usually give away or have to throw away. a good source for exotic wood is places that import from overseas as most of these pallets are made of exotic wood.

kendall

m_r_dxn

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:00 pm »
I'll be looking into that!  Thanks for the tip!  I've seen some really good looking pieces cut from bamboo cutting boards and have thought that I'd like to try if I could find a cheap source.  This may be just the ticket.

Another place to find cheap wood sometimes is places like Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity restore.  Sometimes you'll find things (like shelves or tables, ect...) in the cheap that can be taken apart and the wood reused for scrolling.  Also, for smaller compound blanks, I found a jinga set at the dollar store for a buck or two.  The pieces were 1"x1" and made of oak.  There were quite a few pieces in the box!

Papahawg

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 07:26:24 pm »
I've found some GREAT wood "FREE"... all you  have to do is follow this link and do this and do that..

Just kidding on the links.. sometimes you find something interesting and they want you to follow so many links before you get to it..

Ok, now for the "FREE" GREAT wood...

CRAIGSLIST under "FREE"

So many people are thowing away tv stands or chest of drawers.. is that what you call that?

Anyways, check it out.. lets us all know what GOLD you find..

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi