Author Topic: On/Off foot pedal  (Read 12479 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: On/Off foot pedal
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 06:36:49 pm »
I guess I'm in the minority here. Don't use one and don't have a need for a foot switch.
I sit on a bar stool and usually keep my feet on a stool rung or on the brace of the stand wile I'm sawing.
Dan In Southern California

northie66

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 08:48:55 pm »
I wish my switch would get here.  I just tracked it... it left Fedex in California.  I'm in Pa.  Maybe I should have paid extra for fast shipping!   ;)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 09:28:08 pm »
Janet,
I live about 15 miles from Harbor Freight! I try to stay away from there though ::)
Dan In Southern California

chief

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 09:50:19 pm »
Well I have had the foot switch for a week and I am so glad I got it.  I dont know how I ever scrolled without one before.  Now I just need to remember to pick up my foot to stop the saw, sometimes I still go for the switch on the saw.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 10:35:48 am »
It takes a while to change the habit of reaching for the saw switch but it eventually becomes a natural movement.
I got my 'momentary' switch very early in my learning process so it came fairly quickly.
My next 'wiring' project will be to hard wire the foot switch and jumper the saw switch out completely. Will mount a 4 square box on my saw stand so I have a receptacle to plug in my light/magnifier so it will be controlled independently from the saw switch and remove the saw light. Will also mount an aquarium pump to provide air to the re-configured blower and that will run with the saw.
This will result in a single cord from the wall receptacle to the saw. There are enough cords running around my 'mobile' shop.
All my tools are on wheeled stands so we can, when necessary, move everything out of the way and get the car in the garage!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

northie66

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 05:31:09 pm »
When I get my foot switch, I'm going to put tape over the hand switch. Especially since now I know the dewalts tend to have switch problems.  Not sure if that was my problem but still. 

spark

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 06:45:05 pm »
I don't think I could make it without my foot switch. The only problem I have with it is the light on my saw also goes off when I take my foot off the switch. Seeing how I am an electrician maybe I could get into the saw's wiring and fix this problem just haven't taken time to do that.
David

northie66

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 08:09:43 pm »
Just buy a separate light.   ;D

ripchief

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 08:33:57 pm »
That's one of the reasons that I use the circular florescent magnifier light...I've had brighter ideas than the light that's equipped with my saw...I even think that the bathroom night light is brighter than the saw's built-in light.

Get a good light even if your room is well lit...I perform non-destructive testing in my job...While performing visual inspections, a good light source is required to see fine details...Under the wrong lighting conditions (what most of us consider bright enough), lots of stuff can get overlooked...Ambient lighting, even in something like a well lighted office/classroom/etc, isn't enough by itself...You need a decent light source focused on what you're looking at...At the same time, don't go overboard and get a light that's so bright that you end up blinding yourself or getting a sunburn from the reflection off of the object being illuminated.

SMF

Teknoromi