Author Topic: Text inside of a shape  (Read 1828 times)

Unknotted

Text inside of a shape
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:58:48 pm »
I have Paintshop Pro v 8, I have GIMP and I have inkscape but I can't find instructions for any of them on how to put text inside a shape so that it conforms to the inside of the shape.  With inkscape I can change perspective, but not to an oval or circle or some other irregular shape.  I don't want the text ON a path (like curved) I want it inside, and to conform to the full inside of the shape.  Am I making sense?  I am no graphic artist, that's for sure. 

Does anyone know of a tutorial that will explain this for any of the programs I have?

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Text inside of a shape
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:09:22 pm »
Sorry I don't know anbout those programs, I use Corel draw.  Steve has tutorial for that.
If you are a student or teacher (or know one) they can get it a lot cheaper.
I'm from North Dakota

Unknotted

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:16:00 pm »
Maybe I can find Steve's tutorial for Corel.  It's not that different from Paintshop Pro.  So far I haven't found what I was looking for, but I might just be not looking in the right places.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:18:39 pm »
I'm from North Dakota

Unknotted

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »
Thanks, that's exactly what I mean...but none of my programs have an envelop tool.  GRRRR!  I knew how to do it with Paintshop pro once upon a time, but don't remember how and can find a tut for it.  I'll keep looking.  Thanks for pointing me to that video though.

Unknotted

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:43:52 pm »
I FOUND IT!  (At least on paintshop pro.)  It's the Mesh Warp tool....in case anyone is interested ;)

daliclimbs

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 02:18:00 pm »
You can find a lot of tutorials on text to path in gimp. That's the best way to do it with that program.. you may wanna take a look at This..

http://gimp-tutorials.net/gimp-text-to-path-tutorial

Unknotted

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 02:54:13 pm »
Thanks daliclimbs, but I know how to do that.  What I'm looking for is instructions for filling an enclosed shape with text that conforms to the outline of the shape.  I can do it on Paintshop pro now, but I am almost positive there is an easier way than using the mesh warp tool.  I wish I could figure it out on Inkscape.

smitty0312

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:00:31 am »
Using Inkscape,Type your text, select object to path, select path effect editor, there are several options to choose from which most I don't know how to use, but you can use the bend option, or the envelope deformation, once you alter your text with either of these tools, select object to path again and it will stay that way, you can pull up or down to fill your shape, takes a little practice, youtube is alot of help, search Inkscape, there are alot of videos, hope this all makes a little sense.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:13:11 pm by smitty0312 »

Unknotted

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44:39 am »
Thanks Smitty, I am going to try it and see if I can make it work for me.  The mesh warp with PSP gives me uneven results, barely usable.

SMF

Teknoromi