Author Topic: Mac Vs. Micro  (Read 1480 times)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Mac Vs. Micro
« on: August 08, 2011, 07:44:58 pm »
My computer is nearly 6 years old and is a pc running xp pro. I know any day now it's gonna crash and burn. I have it backed up etc. but I'm thinking about getting a mac this time around.

Can I use windows on a mac so I can still use things like irfanview and steve goods little program pattern makers?

Will I still be able to edit my website via a mac? I know maybe dumb questions but I've never even looked at a mac screen I just hear they (apple) are much more stable and user friendly. I'm tired of being held hostage to Microsoft and their new OPS all the time and then they stop supporting older OPS.

Should I go with an iMAC?
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Mac Vs. Micro
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:26:15 pm »
Hey Dunk, My son has Windows loaded on his Mac laptop, so the answer is yes!
Dan In Southern California

aubec

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 07:19:11 am »
The answer is yes you can run windows on a mac computer.  Check out the mac website http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=mac/10.5/en/11889.html
Hope that helps.
aubec

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 08:44:56 am »
My suggestion would be for you to go to a Mac Store and try the system out and ask lots of questions...Weigh the additional initial outlay against the 'problems' you have with Mickeysoft and make your decision...
My S.O. is a Mac user and I am being forced to learn their system and taking a good hard look at it in case mine goes...
But I have built my last three computers so I am not intimidated by MS.

My biggest problem with MAC is the difference in the initial cost for comparable systems.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:36:02 pm »
I switched to a 27" iMac, and never looked back.  Their "slogan: is right, "Think Differant" Took me a bit to get use to it, but I love my Mac, I am in the process of upgrading my older laptops that I use in the Ham Shack, with 22" monitors and Mac Mini's.

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 01:42:39 am »
I know any day now it's gonna crash and burn.

Do you wish for it or what is your plan?

I'd consider a PC. It's simpler(cheaper!), you're used to it and works (kind of) perfect for you. I don't see any advantages from switching to a Apple.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:35:20 am »
I've decided to stay with a PC.  The extra cost of a mac and the learning curve aren't something I look forward too.  Thanks for the advice everyone.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

SMF

Teknoromi