Author Topic: computer still running slow  (Read 3472 times)

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
computer still running slow
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:00:04 am »
 After getting rid of some pictures and other junk that was on the computer, it is still running slow, does anyone have any more ideas on what I can do, thanks for any info.  Edward

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: computer still running slow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:16:25 am »
Need a lot more info...computer system details, Operating system, installed software, what runs at start-up, amount of installed memory and speed, etc.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Tako Kichi

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:36:51 am »
How long is it since you cleared your internet cache and when did you last run a defrag on the hard drive(s)? How much space do you have left on the hard drive(s)?

p.s. get yourself a 'good' defrag utility (there are plenty on the internet for free) as I've always found the MS provided ones to be next to useless and awfully slow in operation.

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 03:07:15 pm »
I recommend to use CCleaner for basic maintenance on the computer.
I wrote a small introduction on this one some time ago - you might want to see that for assistance too.

Piriform also has a pretty good tool for defrag of XP. It's called "defraggler" and also pretty easy to use.

regards
Torsten

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:46:39 pm »
My computer is a Dell E510, with XP windows. Have done Defrag, and scan disk have 67% memory, don't know much more as Iam no computer Geek.  Edward

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 02:33:41 am »
XP has a disc clean up program it's in your accessories toolbox, it helps to get rid of a lot of old stuff.
I have the free version of AVG antivirus and they just set up a one time free utility for speeding up your PC, it sells for $29 a year. I ran the free one and it helped a lot.

After using one of those cleaner programs like Torsten mentioned, due to my ignorance perhaps it screwed up everything to the point I had to format and reinstall my whole operating system after everything else failed including system restore. This wiped out every old file in the process.
If you aren't sure what you are doing it's best NOT to, take it to a pro you'll be ahead in the long run, and it should come back clean without cob webs as well.
Play it safe.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:55:07 am »
try this  goto http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and download it and run it and it well clean out your system etc.  

after that
then do a reboot after you run ccleaner on your computer

Then.

click on run  then type in command then hit enter

then type this or just copy and paste it   sfc /scannow  with the space from sfc  and /scannow  this well check and repair any systems files etc  if it show that it can't fix some of them then get back to me.

try those 1st and get back and let us know what your findings are.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:09:41 pm by cyberghost »
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 02:14:41 pm »
 I tried them all, it only does a certain amount, then they want you to buy the product, that's where they get you.  Edward

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:07:32 pm »
After running the AVG program to clean out old stuff, I started having glitches. So I went back to System Restore luckily I had created a restore point just before running the utility.
So things are back to more or less normal.
Ccleaner sounds like the cleanup program that crashed my computer a few years ago.
I'd recommend not using anything like that unless you know exactly what you're doing.
Get a real tech to do the maintenance if you lack the knowledge to do it safely.
Better safe than sorry, repairs or replacement can be expensive, and once you loose the files on your PC chances are you will never get them back. So keep that in mind.
As Dirty Harry would ask..... Do you feel lucky?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:41:54 pm »
I tried them all, it only does a certain amount, then they want you to buy the product, that's where they get you.  Edward

The ccleaner is free.

have you try the sfc /scannow.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:38:34 pm by cyberghost »

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:27:59 pm »
tried to download the ccleaner for myself comes up and says buy online and download for $24.95
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:29:57 pm by newfie »

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:37:04 pm »
got it to work now!!

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:37:39 pm »
tried to download the ccleaner for myself comes up and says buy online and download for $24.95

here no that is for support.  

Huge thanks to those of you who have already contributed and support our software!
You can still donate here.

Version 3.07.1457  (3,023 kb)
  - Download from FileHippo.com
  - Download from Piriform.com
in the same box where it says 24.95  look at the bottom and click on download from piriform.com and then it well download it   and it is free unless y ou want to donate some money.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 11:28:12 am »
 Had to finally take my computer to the shop, and just got it back, it had 2 virus, thanks to all that tried to help.  Edward

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 11:51:53 am »
Just for informational purposes...where did you take it and what did they charge...
It is nice for us to know what the going rates are in various areas for 'cleaning' a system.

Here locally we have shops that advertise they will do the job for $99 guaranteed.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi