Author Topic: Senior Moment!  (Read 2181 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Senior Moment!
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:08:58 pm »
After a couple hours of cutting along I needed to drill some holes in a new project.

Left the saw, picked up the workpiece, stepped up to the drill and looked like Trigger counting for Roy R.!!!

Memo to Self!  There is NO Foot Pedal for the Drillpress!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

Re: Senior Moment!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:52:42 pm »
1.........2.........................3...........................4...................5 Very good Trigger ahhh I mean GB lmaooo I got tears rolling down my cheeks but Ihey I have been there and then some.

Problem solved... The way I did mine was the wife had an old foot peddle to a sewing machine so I stuck over on my work bench so now when I work on it (ie Drilling holes) I put my foot on it doen't do much for power on/off but I don't look like Trigger lol thanks for the laugh GB I needed it today...

SheGold

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »
 :-[ giggling.. Too funny Tigger ur um GB... Sheila in Tx

marmoh

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:53:32 pm »
If you were really going thru a senior moment, you would have been standing in front of the  refrigerator trying to remember what you were looking for !!!!   :o :o

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:48:13 pm »
Talk about a senior moment, You even posted on the wrong board!!! This is the computer question board!! :o
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:46:33 pm »
OH ... you caught that, did you Dan?

ROFLMAO

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:24:56 pm »
Why don't you have a foot petal for your Drill Press?  I do.  When I am using small bits, they wobble.  So I pull the handle down with one hand so the end of the bit is touching the wood, hold the wood with another hand, Turn on the drill press with another, OOPS.  Yep, got a foot switch for the drill press...  Try it,  works great

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 03:12:46 am »
I don't have one of those fancy bench top belt sanders, so I use a portable sander instead.
Clamp it in a vise belt side up and squeez the trigger and lock it on problem is you can't shut it off easily because the switch is underneath out of reach. Got the bright idea to power it through my foot switch. Worked a charm!
Just think of all the things that would be safer and more convenient controlled with a dead man switch. Your imagination is your limit. The good part is they are completely portable and can be switched between machines in just a minute or two.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Chachi

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:01 am »
Gabby you hit on something there Hmm I wonder if it would work with a 6 way plug Worklight,saw,vacum.......Ect ect this way when you step on it everything you need now has power to it,Step off it all stops running hmmm maybe more safer and easier in the long run.....

CNLNC

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 11:57:57 am »
I thought the purpose of having a foot switch/dead-man swithch was for when it was critical to have the "tool" be turned off or both your hands where unavailable, or just plain safety. But in the case of say the sander for example, all you have to do is lift the work off the belt, then you can turn it off normally. Just seems to me that the foot switch is a great tool, but doesnt need to be used for everything. Just my 2cents.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:44:47 am »
I thought the purpose of having a foot switch/dead-man switch was for when it was critical to have the "tool" be turned off or both your hands where unavailable, or just plain safety. But in the case of say the sander for example, all you have to do is lift the work off the belt, then you can turn it off normally. Just seems to me that the foot switch is a great tool, but doesn't need to be used for everything. Just my 2cents.

Not necessarily "critical" but convenience as well. In order to turn the sander off while clamped in the vise would require removing it from the vise while still running in order to get to the switch, not exactly a safe maneuver. Alternatively it would have to be unplugged to turn it off.

As for having everything controlled by the foot switch has a couple of things against it. One is the wattage limits of the switch and another in my opinion is practicality. Having the lights go off too could be rather inconvenient just imagine stumbling around in the dark in a place where sharp tools could be bumped into.
I re-read and noticed it was the work light mentioned, probably OK but possibly over kill, the vacuum and saw makes sense, but you would have to be sure not to overload the switch.

It is still fun to think of ways you can make your work easier and safer by having your two hands free to manipulate tools or materials. The ten bucks I spent for my Harbour Freight switch were well spent. Every time I would have to turn my saw off required taking my hand off the wood and fumbling under the table on the left side to locate and turn it off which to me is less than satisfactory. I would NOT be without it!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 05:29:08 pm »
When all three are out in the garage my scroll saw, drill press and band saw are plugged in to one foot press with a 3 to 1 plug adapter. I only use one tool at a time. Still trying to keep all my fingers!  ;D
Nope, no duct tape involved in this process!

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 10:56:48 am »
What does this have to do with computers LOL
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 08:15:40 pm »
When you become a 'senior' you will understand!

ROFLMAOAC!

SMF

Teknoromi