Author Topic: Microsoft updates vs Firefox  (Read 1227 times)

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
Microsoft updates vs Firefox
« on: April 16, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »
There are MS updates coming so often. The last couple did something to my ISP. So I restored to a few days ago, and all is well. Also, changed the settings for automatic updates.
Am thinking of changing to Firefox, as I heard there  is not a constant stream of updates. True?
Pat B

Tako Kichi

Re: Microsoft updates vs Firefox
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »
The majority of the MS updates you have been getting are for security fixes for the operating system (XP, Vista, Win7 etc.) not necessarily the browser (Internet Explorer). You should always add these security fixes as it makes your system less prone to attacks from external sources. If you change to Firefox you will still get the updates from MS.

Regarding Firefox I have been using it since it first came out and used it's predecessor before that (Mozilla). IMHO it is a far better web browser than IE and I haven't used IE for many years but you still need to have it on your computer as it is integrated within the operating system (OS).

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 03:42:58 pm »
There are MS updates coming so often. The last couple did something to my ISP. So I restored to a few days ago, and all is well. Also, changed the settings for automatic updates.
Am thinking of changing to Firefox, as I heard there  is not a constant stream of updates. True?
Pat B

Pat
I experienced the same thing and turned off auto update, now all I do is update the virus about once a month. It's still a pain in the but.
Good thing you knew about the restore point. I had to learn the hard way.
I used Netscape until MS crushed them, it was a good browser.
I totally crashed my system a couple of years ago I downloaded a program CS something, can't remember the whole name. It was supposed to clean out all the un-necessary junk that acumulates.
It cleaned it out all right. It screwed every thing up and restore wouldn't work at all since all those programs had been scrubed or deleted. My point is use caution and only the usual tools provided to maintain your PC I found this site and have used it a couple of times with no problems so far.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
Gabby
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

shutterbugdm

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:08:05 pm »
Go with MOZILLA FIREFOX over IE.  world of difference.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 01:44:38 am »
I miss my old Netscape. Was better than IE
Snivel.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi