Author Topic: Transferring bookmarks  (Read 1859 times)

boxmaker

Transferring bookmarks
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:59:24 am »
I just ordered a new laptop, and I am wondering if there is an easy way to transfer my bookmarks from my old computer to my new computer. I use Firefox.

SonOfMartin

Re: Transferring bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:16:31 am »
Easy..

In Firefox - go to your bookmarks and export them.

Save them to a file on your desktop then copy them to your new PC when it arrives.

Start up FireFox on the new pc and go to bookmarks and import them.

I'm at work and don't have Firefox here, so my commands and directions may be 'a little off'.  If you have problems, PM me and I'll send you detailed step-by-step directions from home.

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:49:14 am »
which browser do you prefer?

Bookmarks are fairly easy to transfer.

Also remember your email address book, personal files (patterns!), calender, ...

regards
Torsten

boxmaker

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:28 pm »
Thanks Torsten, I already moved all of my patterns,pictures,music to a flash drive. And thanks for reminding me of my address book. As far as browsers, I like Firefox, I tried Chrome, and didn't like it, I guess I am just to used to Firefox. Thanks again.

Mark

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:38:30 pm »
Yeah, I have seen a lot of users not remembering all their files. Thats always a nasty thing, once deleted the data it never comes back. it's just a small fingertip away.

You do have a flash drive - I would also consider a NAS with Raid1 logic. It's easy to use and a simple solution to get a bit more of a backup. A Raid1 has 2 drives. who are identically written. So if one fails, there is always the other drive still working. Only fire and thieves can infinite destroy these backups.

regards
Torsten

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:35:54 pm »
Sorry for my ignorance, but this NAS Raid 1 logic. Do you mean it keeps the same information on both drives, that way if one fries, you still have the other one. Is this an external drive I can plug into my new laptop, or does it have to be built in.

Mark

Muzzlemike

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:35:18 am »
I use MozBackup It backs up Firefox and Thunderbird .
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Mike

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:37:04 am »
A NAS is a "Network Attached Storage".
You simply plug it into your network. You can access it from all the computers. Most of the NAS have a printer switch, so you can also centralize your printer, making it available for all computers.

RAID stands for "Redundant Array of Independent Disks".
It's a standard for storage. In Industrial Services it's a common setup for storing the data. There are configurations with an unlimited number of drives available.

A RAID I has to have 2 drives, both are written identically. It's a good choice for home use.

I need to mention that a NAS is not a real backup. It can be destroyed (every occasion which destroys the storage box as a physical item) and the data on it can be deleted by all users, who have access.
But it is a fairly simple thing to use, and as real backups are nasty, time ripping and no fun at all, a NAS is a good choice to get some more storage reliability.

We do store so much today - photos, documents, music, memories, ... . It would be a shame to loose them.

regards
Torsten

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 09:19:55 am »
I use a site/plugin called Xmarks - access and sync all your bookmarks on all your computers.  also good if you are at a friends house, you can go to the site, and access all your links.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 10:58:33 am »
X-marks also works across the various 'browsers'....
I use it also...very handy when I go on 'service calls' to help friends with their 'puters.

Available for FF, Chrome and IE (I think)...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

boxmaker

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:56:21 pm »
Thank you everyone, for the help with the bookmarks, it was real easy to do after your help. I have my new laptop up and running, "with all my bookmarks imported." The new computer came with Windows 7, which I am not used to yet, another learning curve. I feel like I just moved into a different home, trying to find where everything is. At least the forum is still the same.

Thanks again  Mark

SMF

Teknoromi