Author Topic: what kind of printer do you use  (Read 5049 times)

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
what kind of printer do you use
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:12:06 am »
 Just wondering what kind of printer you all use, I have a Lexmark and the replacement ink is so expensive. I'am looking for a printer with less expensive ink refills, any ideas are welcomed Thanks  Edward

qlty

Re: what kind of printer do you use
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:22:41 am »
I have an HP all in 1 desk jet but also uses high priced ink cartridges.The scanner/printer comes in handy, I buy a kit and refill them several times as I only use the black most of the time.Kodak advertises its printer and claims cheap ink ??maybe a laser would be a good choice if you use it a lot.Perhaps others will respond with their opinions.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:28:27 am »
I just replaced my printer recently.  Ink is expensive on all printers, but generally I find it is better to use a printer with separate cartridges for each color rather than a single cartridge for all three colors.  My latest printer actually uses 5 cartridges but I can replace them individually as they run out.  Another consideration is that when using an inkjet, you do not save money by buying extended quantity cartridges unless you use it often enough to exhaust the ink in a reasonable time period.  The ink will dry out if unused, so you may be better off buying smaller cartridges more frequently.  Printing photos is satisfying, but it is usually cheaper to email the pics to a photo service and have them printed there.  To my knowledge, HP is the only ink manufacturer that actually gives an estimated number of pages printed from each cartridge.  That can help you decide what size cartridge to purchase also.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:42 am »
I also bought a Lexmark to let me do color prints and had sticker shock when I had to replace the cartridges.  It is almost cheaper to buy another printer.  I also have an HP laser that I bought in 1994.  It is black and white but have only bought 3 or 4 toner cartridges since.  They are almost a $100 but last a long time.  They are supposed to do 5000 copies but that would depend on the amount of black on the copy.

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:58:11 am »
I use a simple B/W laser printer.

Some years ago I noticed I do not use the other colors - I always print text ( ...and now patterns), but no colorful stuff.

Pictures can be ordered online - that's much cheaper than printing them yourself.

regards
Torsten

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:00:14 pm »
Mine is an HP 6310 'all in one' printer, scanner, copier and fax. I do use ALL the functions and I like it very much.
It is common knowledge that the Printer manufacturers would almost be happy to GIVE you the printer if they could REQUIRE you to buy only their cartridges!

My 'workaround' to buying the HP cartridges is to buy 'remanufactured' cartridges from a reputable supplier. There are many companies that 'refill' cartridges but many of them are not really testing and providing guarantees that their cartridges are 'exactly' like brand new.

For the last two years I have been using LD Products cartridges and have had only one that had to be returned simply because it would not be recognized by my system. It was replaced with a simple phone call!

HP-92 Blk...$9.99  3 for $27.00 ~~  HP OEM cartridge...$15.99
HP-95 Color...$10.99  3 for $30.00 ~~ HP OEM cartridge...$26.99

Easy to see that I can buy THREE color cartridges for only $3.00 more than the Factory item!

If you choose to go this route make sure that the cartridges are "remanufactured" and not just 'refilled' as at Walgreen's and the office supply stores and many other of the online vendors.

My Thoughts, My Perceptions, My Opinions!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:14:03 pm »
I like my cheap Kodak Printer/scanner/copier about $89.00 at Wal-Mart.
The ink is cheap and seems to go a long way.
I'm from North Dakota

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 03:05:31 pm »
 I have the HP 6180 (similiar model to GB's) all in one printer, scanner, copier and fax. The only problem I have with this model is vista keeps dropping the drivers. It works great with XP. I use it every day for my online business.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »
I have a Epson Stylus RX680, The only reason is: it has the ability to print directly on the face of a CD or DVD and I use that feature a lot. 

I do think the ink is very expensive and there are few places that offer remanufactured  cartridges for Epson printers.

I've had three different HP's in the past and all were very satisfactory.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 06:10:21 pm »
"I have a Epson Stylus RX680, The only reason is: it has the ability to print directly on the face of a CD or DVD"

I didn't know there was a printer that could do that. But then it seems I'm always behind the times when it comes to technology lol
Thanks for the info :)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »
My computer has "light scribe". It will scribe onto a disk. There are all kinds of patterns and fonts to use. It's pretty cool!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:57:18 am »
Sawdust Dave....I wouldn't fault the printer when Vista can't keep up!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:07 am »
Dan...the "lightscribe" feature is part of the CD/DVD drive and its software and is a great thing for those of us who make CD's and DVD's for backup of certain items like "Scroll Patterns-1/1/2011" and other essential backups!

Sure beats 'scribbling' on the media with a 'Sharpie'!

~~~GB~~~

Chachi

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:48:42 am »
I bought a cheap one from a big box store it's a Canon 2600 the ink is a pretty good price and it last awhile I don't use the color ink for the patterns so this works for me at the time I payed (I think) 30 US dollars for it and the Black ink is only 13-17 US dollars depends on where I get the ink.

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 12:43:22 pm »
 GB... Bad choice of words on my part. I like the printer but not Vista.:)

SMF

Teknoromi