Author Topic: Email question  (Read 4120 times)

boxmaker

Email question
« on: January 07, 2011, 05:56:05 pm »
I have a question...not sure how to ask it so here goes. I put on an earlier post, that I have been think of ordering a new laptop. My email address is an aol address, I only use aol for my email, because I do not know how to do my email any other way. Is there a way I can keep my aol address and get my email another way (not using aol software). I really do not like the aol software, but I would like to keep my aol address. OK I'll stop now, I am getting confused.

Mark

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Email question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:03:32 pm »
I will have to check later but I think there is a way to 'export' your AOL 'contacts' to a file and then 'import' them into another email program.

What email program are you thinking of using?

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

boxmaker

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:08:00 pm »
That's just it GB, I have never used a email program, other than aol, so I don't know how they even work. I know I really do not want to install aol on my new computer, that is why I am asking the question. Which one would you recommend that is fairly easy to use?

Mark

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »
I just checked and you CAN export your AOL contacts to a file which can be imported by Yahoo mail, Gmail,  Hotmail,  and most of the email clients like Thunderbird, Eudora, Pegasus, OutLook, etc.

You will have to send each contact an email with any new 'email address' you might set up!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 06:15:37 pm »
You ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers so i will give you my OPINION!

For simple basic correspondence, sending photos, attachments, etc. I would recommend GMAIL.

On your present computer go to GOOGLE.com and search for Gmail and read up on it before you make your decision.

If you have specific questions you can email me directly from this forum and I will try to help as much as i can.

~~~GB~~~

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:19:31 pm »
Thanks for the answer GB. I think I will go check out this Gmail. Thanks again.

Mark

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:34:41 pm »
I started using g-mail we I bought my Droid phone. I like and recommend it. It is faily easy to set up and you can check your mail from any computer with an internet connection.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 07:19:52 am »
boxmaker - Without knowing how you actually access the internet, I'll assume you are going through an Internet Service Provider (ISP)[i.e. cable company, phone company].  Did your (ISP) provide you with an email account?  Most provide for several email accounts to be created under one service contract.  In many cases, you can purchase even more, and have umpteen different accounts (not sure why you would, though).  You can usually access your ISP provided email through their website, or use a program like Outlook or Thunderbird to download your emails onto your computer.  Just another option other than a web based mail system.

Hope this helps!

boxmaker

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:05:54 am »
I have a wireless internet connection through Verizon, They do not offer any email support. I checked out gmail last night, and called my brother in law about signing up, he said he thought he had to invite me to gmail, so right now I will wait for his email. I also found out by playing around last night I can sign into aol through my firefox web browser and get my email, but my brother inlaw says aol restricts file sizes and gmail does not. I guess I have more reading to do, to understand how it all works and the advantages and disadvantages. What is thunderbird and how does it work.

Mark

Mainewoods

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:37:47 pm »
Thunderbird is just one of many different email programs.  I've never used it, but some swear by it.  Just threw that out as an example, but since you connect through Verizon, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just keep using AOL and gmail if you find it suits your needs.  I don't know about the file size limitations with gmail, but anything is better than what AOL allows!  Good luck!

Dawie

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 04:48:01 pm »
Hi boxmaker,
I switched from hotmail to gmail a while back and am very happyabout it. You can make your own account and you don't need to wait on an invitation from anybody. But do what ever is easiest for you. Must say I love gmail.
David

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 06:20:40 pm »
I use Gmail and Yahoo.  Gmail has been great... I won't comment about yahoo LOL

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 06:56:09 pm »
Boxmaker, I use Comcast as my ISP, and also use the email they provide.  However I also have an AOL email and a Gmail account and use them for different purposes.  You can go to AOL anytime just like any other web site by typing in AOL.com, and still sign in, read and send email.  Same with Gmail.  You'll need to go back to your old email client from time to time to see if anyone has been trying to reach you with the old address.  On the plus side, changing sure stops a lot of spam, etc. for awhile!

Also, many of the email services will look at your address book and send a notice to each and every one of the addresses that you have changed to whatever new service you've chosen.  It's not automatic, but if I remember right it gives you the option to accept or decline.  Also imports all your old addresses into the new service.

No, you don't have to be invited to any of them.  Just type in the web address, go to the site, and sign up. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 08:43:58 pm »
Yahoo is a pain in the butt they do what they want to not what you do I have changed back to Outlook but Yahoo still grab some of my mail and I have to look in from time to time to see what they have been up to
Jimbo

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 04:01:59 pm »
I use Gmail and Yahoo, Gmail my main stay.
I also use Thunderbird to access my emails, I think it's the quickest and easiest to use.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

SMF

Teknoromi