Author Topic: "All that's CHROME is NOT Shiny!"  (Read 3264 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
"All that's CHROME is NOT Shiny!"
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:23:57 pm »
I subscribe to a great newsletter called ..."Neat Net Trick"...<http://www.NeatNetTricks.coms> Conceived and hosted by Jack Teems.

Here in its complete form is a REVIEW of Google's CHROME browser by Mark Snyder.

I read it, went back to my desktop and started opening Firefox again and I personally feel that the article is 'right on'!
Firefox opens faster, runs faster and allows me to have more open at the same time without slowing down.
Read the review and make your own comparisons and decisions.

~~~GrayBeard~~~

Mini-Review: All That's Chrome Is Not Shiny

By Mark Snyder

You have all heard by now of the greatness of the new Google Chrome browser. According to all of the experts and every computer geek worth their badge of geekdom, the Chrome browser is the end all, be all of the browser. There can be no more wanting. In fact, the browser wars are over and Chrome is victorious.

Really? Am I missing something? Is there a version of Chrome that one can only download using a special code sent from another galaxy far, far, away? I ask because, in my constant search for the perfect browser, I downloaded and installed Chrome-in fact, I used it through several of its updates which come almost hourly it seems-and found my Chrome to be more like an old 71 Buick sitting in the junk yard: a good reputation, once full of potential and possibilities, but now rusty and worthless.

The most common praise you hear is that it is fast, and indeed it is fast; although, based on some comparisons as well as my own, not as fast in many instances as Opera. The second most common praise you hear is that it is. . . . fast. Oh, I already used that one? Well, there really is not a lot of other praise. There is, however, some criticism I can provide you.

First, it is a huge resource hog. I mean oink, oink, huge! In order to insure that when one open tab crashes the entire browser does not crash (and this is one of its big selling points) Google assigns an entire Windows process to each open tab. That's right. Each open tab will have its own process running in Task Manger; each drawing its own bite out of your memory and your CPU time. In addition, there are three processes that run all of the time your browser is open whether you are using it or not and irregardless of any tabs. Are you with me here? Open three tabs and you have six processes running. And all of these running processes do not come at no cost to your computer's resources. Each tab consumed between 18MB to 22MB of Ram and the three main Google browser processes another 112MB of Ram. So if you happen to have three tabs open you will be using 178MB of RAM memory. I ran an entire computer with Windows 95 on less memory than that just a few years ago. If this is not enough to make even your old copy of IE6 look welcome, Chrome sets off all kinds of security alerts as it needs access to your keyboard(?), SVCHost, the Windows DNS/RPC Client Services, and installs a global hook into your system using a dwmapi .dll. It also needs to constantly modify protected registry keys. In fact, between the firewall and WinPatrol it activated 30 alerts needing permission to access services, install hidden files, and so on. That is scary!

But like everyone says, it is fast! I just can't afford the "price."

Review printed here with special permission from Jack Teems, owner of "Neat Net Tricks"
<http://www.NeatNetTricks.com>
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Mainewoods

Re: "All that's CHROME is NOT Shiny!"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:48:13 pm »
Yeah, I tried Chrome once.  Once.

Thanks for the article GB!

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:06:25 pm »
it is a good browser...just keeps getting more and more bloated like the rest of google!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:02:31 am »
My son (the college senior and IT geek) says chrome also stores/records/saves all info on where you have been. That when you sign up for it that is part of the deal. He says don't do it/use it!

I personally like Firefox.

cherie

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:30:42 am »
Tried it, did not like it...will never look back.  It messed up my computer at one point and I had to make a call to someone about it.  They had asked me if I had downloaded Chrome, and in order for me to do what I needed to do, I had to rid my computer of the program.  Thank goodness I did.
Nice article GB.

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »
It had such a old crappy computer too.

What is this? some blog from someone who bought a PC in 1990 and wonders why it isn't that shiny any more?

To set a process (or as programmers say a thread) for each window is a fairly common thing to do these days. and it works out perfect!

Click right on the Chrome tab, see the build in task manager and find out about this feature!
See the Chrome Web Store and find out about the great opportunities there to come.
Find out about Chrome OS and how it will revolution the PC.

regards
Torsten
PS: No, I do not work at Google.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:04:59 pm by tux_linux »

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:38:17 pm »
Hey...this article is one reviewer's OPINION!

I sent it to a friend who is an IT pro and he said the review is full of holes and Chrome is not at all bad.

Personal experience is that FireFox runs faster on MY build! Every machine has its own characteristics and this is my PERSONAL  opinion which is not based on 'benchmark' tests, just perception!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

boxmaker

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:43:24 pm »
Firefox user here. I had a similar experience like Cherie had, I had to call my brother in law to help get it off my computer. I say, No thanks Google, I like your search engine, but not your browser. Thanks GB

Mark

tux_linux

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 02:49:02 pm »
@ GB
Hands up! Breath slow and deep!

I know this is not your opinion. But the reviewers opinion is ... - well it's crap. That's what it is.
To be anxious about the RAM a program has absolutely no eligibility those days.

regards
Torsten

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 05:32:15 pm »
Can't wait to get started on a new 'build' and put WIN 7 (64 bit) on it so I can get past that damn 3 gig memory barrier!

Will set it up to be a dual boot with Linux! like my laptop...

~~~GB~~~

tux_linux

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:52:01 pm »
do it - a win7 64bit machine with power is a blast of fun! I have one at work now - really nice. Does build my produced software in a quarter of time the old computer needed.

...Fortunately still enough time to get a coffee :)

regards
Torsten

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 08:46:31 pm »
So far I would give Win-7 a thumbs up. I like some of it's new features, especially being able to add more memory. Running 8 gigs on my new laptop. It is sweet.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 07:06:48 pm »
Ah, to each his own, as the old saying goes.  I've used just about every version of Windows since it first came out and presently use Windows 7 64 bit, after using Vista 64 bit.  I have Explorer 8, but use Chrome instead which works very well for me.  Loads fine, lets me open lots of windows, etc.  I've also used Firefox in the past, but just liked Chrome better.  As I said, to each his own!
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

SMF

Teknoromi