Author Topic: GIMP & my printer  (Read 3112 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
GIMP & my printer
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:04:07 pm »
Are there any gurus amongst you that can suggest why GIMP doesn't default to my only printer. It doesn't even offer it as an alternative. Also, GIMP doesn't allow me to choose my paper size. Up to now I've lucked out opening and printing the pattern off with MSPaint. Thank you, Barry.

tdpainter

Re: GIMP & my printer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:23:21 pm »
hey barry I just went and had a look in gimp and mine worked good. To print go to file and print, then the next block should show your printer. If not Try to add your printer, by clicking on the add printer button. Or try the Find Printer Button that should show just under that. To change your paper size, Go to file , then page setup there you can choose paper size and a few other things as well. Hope this helps.

Travis.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:26:31 pm »
Hi Trav. I went through that exercise before I posted my inquiry, however I'm going to go back and follow your instructions to the letter to make sure I'm not skipping something. When I try to find my Epsom it doesn't register in the file, and after I choose paper size it runs through the entire list again and defaults to "user choice"... go figure. Thank you, Barry.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:24:29 pm »
Perhaps it's because I consulted you but the printer is behaving itself now. I'm not sure why exactly I'm still having issues with the paper size but I think it's choosing paper size based on image size. I'm going to have to go back in and play around with the image size. Thank you, Barry.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:10:00 pm »
I don't print from gimp I save the file to my computer then go to where file is saved and then print.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »
You left click the mouse to get the pop up menu and save from there?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 07:15:01 pm »
To save in gimp IIRC is file-export then chose filename also at this time can pick what extension mine I use jpg.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:15:22 pm »
Thats in gimp 2.8 which is what I use

Malistar22

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:31 am »
I also no longer print in GIMP. It just acts 'funny' when I do. I print out of Paint now.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 10:53:22 am »
I've tried paint but it doesn't listen any better than GIMP. Cheers, Barry.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 10:57:34 am »
YEP
I had issues with gimp printing
I now drag everything into inkscape and print - no more problems
Dave

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:48 am »
Barry-

Have you tried to save it, then print it. When I do mine I save it and save it to a file I called scroll saw patterns as to find them easier, then when opened it will open in windows photo viewer then chose to print from there, it works for me, prints easy no issues.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:06:27 pm »
O.k., I managed to get GIMP to print, now I just have to work out the pattern size issue. Re-sizing in GIMP doesn't always translate to a cuttable pattern, I'll have to bite the bullet and wrestle with printing in Inkscape. Could anyone enlighten me as to the difference between [canvas size] and [scale image]? Cheers, Barry.

Malistar22

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:50 pm »
Canvas size is just that, the size of the canvas you 'paint' on. You can paint a very small picture on a huge canvas, but you'll end up with a lot of white background. The scale image is how to size the actual image itself. So imagine a small canvas on an easel. If you scale the image to big, you run out of canvas and the image will get cut off on the edges of the canvas. If the canvas is too big, you get a small image with a lot of white background.

Personally, I try to keep the image size and the canvas size relatively the same.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 01:35:12 pm »
Thank you. That may very well be the issue as I've not addressed [canvas size] as my concern's always been scale or pic size... so canvas size may very well impact printing, hhmmm. I'll wager that's the prob.Cheers, Barry

SMF

Teknoromi