Author Topic: Worth buying a tablet??  (Read 1346 times)

rteubner

Worth buying a tablet??
« on: June 06, 2013, 04:04:51 pm »
OK so I've been reading earlier posts about all you pattern makers using tablets. I have played a little bit with making patterns (still very much in the learning stage!!) but I was just wondering if the tablet makes things easier and if buying a tablet would be worth it. If so what kinds are the best for using for scrolling?

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Worth buying a tablet??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:35:18 pm »
Personally I did not like using a tablet. I bought a Wacom then sent it back. I've been using the laptop mouse pad for a long time and manage to get pattern work done pretty quickly, so it's a matter of preference.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:21:31 pm »
I have the Waco Bamboo pen tablet (The cheapest Bamboo tablet has all the functions you need for pattern work) and like it for making portrait patterns and some complex areas when using Drawing Software to make an intarsia pattern. I have better control with the pen than I do the mouse, especially it tight areas where I?m trying to leave a bridge and etc.   

If you plan on making patterns on a regular basis I would recommend you invest the money for one. 

Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 11:22:05 am »
Hi
I bought a wacom bamboo recently and found it very good, but as EIEIO says it is down to personal prefernce, and although I use it quite a lot I also still use the mouse especiallly for the larger areas.
If you're still unsure, before taking the leap why not try a second hand one from ebay or the likes, that way if you dont got on with it you can re sell for pretty much what you bought it for.
Dave

IBMer

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:42:33 pm »
I bought the Waco Bamboo pen tablet a while back and like it.     My particular laptop has a touch-pad mouse and it's not very accurate for image editing.   I think that I could do the same thing with an external mouse on a solid table, but I do most of my drawing and editing sitting on the couch while watching TV, so the tablet does help.

Maybe you can meet up with someone that owns one and try it out before you buy one.    That is often the best way to determine if something is going to meet your expectations.   Best Buy has them, but they are not on display for testing like some items are.   There is also a learning curve to using one.  It took me a few days to get the hang of positioning the stylus pen on the tablet to coincide with the computer screen.   

As you probably know, zooming in to the subject and working on small areas at a time will result in more accurate images.  If you take your time, I suspect you will get similar results with a regular mouse on a solid surface.

SMF

Teknoromi