Author Topic: New Computer/Wireless Problems  (Read 2777 times)

smitty0312

New Computer/Wireless Problems
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:42:04 pm »
I just got a new desktop computer for our downstairs, it has windows 7, it won't connect to our router upstairs thats connected to that computer, it has vista on it. I plug the Linksys wireless adapter into the new computer and it can't find the right driver for it, I don't have the software that came with the router. Whats my problem? Is it windows 7 vs. Vista? Is there any fix for me? Or do I need a new router compatible with windows 7? The router is kinda old(5yrs or so). Our old computer that was downstairs with xp on it worked fine with that adapter. Any help would sure be appreciated!!

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: New Computer/Wireless Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:04:17 am »
smitty, your router should be OK with Windows 7 (W7).  I don't have W7 but my XP computer finds the wireless network each time it starts, and asks if I want to join the network. Does your W7 computer ask if you want to join the network?

If it doesn't, did you try running the W7 wireless network setup?  You will need to know the security settings appropriate to your wireless router -  type of security being used, passwords, etc.

I don't think you need Linksys drivers for your W7 computer but someone else might have a better answer on this one.

Sorry I don't have more definitive suggestions but I hope this can get you started.
Jim
PS
Does your new computer actually have a wireless card installed?
J
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Stravides

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:06:20 am »
You may need a driver, but if you have access from an alternate machine you could always try the livechat help from Linksys

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-eu/support/linksys

You are likely to only need the password for your router into your new machine if it is Windows 7, as it already has legacy support for most adapters.

If you give me the model number of the adapter I may be able to help a bit more ;)

smitty0312

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:47 am »
WUS854G ver. 4 That is the model# on back. Thanks for your help by the way.

smitty0312

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:35:22 pm »
Update, went to cisco site, downloaded driver for my adapter to flash drive, took it to new computer, installed driver, when I plug adapter in, it still wont connect.

Stravides

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »
This is a wireless G adapter, can you confirm that it still works on the other machine (i.e. if your wireless modem is pumping out a G band signal also. 

What make/model is your router ?  If you give that also I should be able to figure out where you need to be.

Do you know what encryption you are running WEP WPS WPS2 etc ?
Do you know the password for the network ?

PoppaRob

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:07:13 pm »
smitty0312,

On my router I have it set to not allow any computer to connect to my network be it wire or wifi, that has not been approved, do you have that kind of setting on/in your router,

Oh, I see you have the router model, I'll go look and see if I can help you more,

later poppa rob
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:05:26 am by PoppaRob »

PoppaRob

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:10:54 pm »
is your win 7 64 bit or 32 bit OS

PoppaRob

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:12:57 pm »

PoppaRob

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 07:15:12 pm »
I'll check back later to see if anything has changed, going to start the grill and get some steaks going, food is in need right now, later

PoppaRob

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 09:36:46 am »
Ok, guess this is Ok now so I'll not be checking back anytime soon, hope that you got it fixed and that my suggestion was of help,

smitty0312

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 11:04:34 am »
Thanks for all help guys, nothing worked yet, might be doing something wrong, I guess will have to have somebody come here to do it. Again Thanks!!

Stravides

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:49 pm »
sorry - been away...

can I just confirm you have

"set to not allow any computer to connect to my network be it wire or wifi"

if this is set - you cannot connect to the network ;)

smitty0312

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 12:43:37 pm »
Update, did live chat on cisco site, gave all information off my adapter, told them i was using windows 7, they said my adapter was not compatible with windows 7, I got an ethernet cable from co worker, plugged into router to new computer and it works, so, my computer downstairs is not very far from router upstairs, so i think I am going to run a ethernet cable to computer downstairs, will only need 20ft or so. Again thanks for everyone who tried here!!

Stravides

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 03:42:55 pm »
ok try this - unsupported does not mean does not work on ;)

connect your machine to the internet via cable

Go to the LinkSYS support page and download the latest appropriate driver set for your particular device. 

Copy it to somewhere on the Windows 7 system and uncompress the files using WinZip or some other Zip extraction tool. 

Go to "Devices and Printers" within the control panel. 

Navigate through the properties of the devices ?Hardware? tab to manually update the driver. 

From the ?Update Driver? page select ?Browse my computer for driver software? and direct it to the directory containing the driver files. 

Let Windows 7 do the rest.

driver -> http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/wusb54gV4-eu_dr.zip

SMF

Teknoromi