Author Topic: Sanding the inside and cutting  (Read 1378 times)

navymancdf

Sanding the inside and cutting
« on: November 26, 2011, 05:27:17 pm »
it has been along time since i have done wood working over 9 years i find scroll sawing very relaxing for me my question is i have finished one puzzle and working on sign. when i did wood work before you cut close to line but not on it to allow for sanding is this the same for scroll saw work? also how do i smooth out the cut some pieces i thought of a file but don't know if that would take off to much or brake the small parts of it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Sanding the inside and cutting
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:59:18 pm »
I try to cut right on the line but, if you should veer off a little, don't worry about it. Once the pattern is removed, no one will ever know if it is not exact.
For the most part the scroll saw blade makes a smooth enough cut that sanding is not necessary. If you do feel that some sanding is needed, you can roll or fold some sandpaper small enough to get inside of the opening. Also finger nail files and emery boards work fairly well to knock of a blip or two.
Using thin plywood (1/8"- 1/2") sanding is not really necessary as far as I'm concerned except for the fuzzies on the back (sometimes front) surfaces and those just need a scrub with some 220 grit sandpaper. On thicker hard wood you sometimes get burn marks from the blade being too hot and those might need a touch-up with a file or sand paper but for the most part are not really all that distracting once the item is done and has some finish on it.
Some of the real pros will be along to correct me where I'm wrong soon.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

navymancdf

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:36:32 pm »
Thanks yeah i just finish my first actual scrollsaw project i really like it. i think i am to much of a perfectionist i see all the problems on it but i know i see it cuase i did the work.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:47:56 am »
We all tend to be critical of our own work.  Once the pattern comes off, anyone else is hard pressed to find an error.  I also try to cut through the line.  I use a sanding mop if I need to sand in between, especially on odd shapes like puzzle pieces.  You will find as you go along that you will collect a variety of items to use in your sanding.  Needle files, emery boards, dremel bands, sanding mops and drums, etc.  You can even use a brown paper bag for finish sanding.  Use your imagination,  there are lots of things out there that will sand.

daliclimbs

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 10:48:24 am »
Trust me! I am one of the most self critical people on the planet. And I got over it. Its true when the pattern comes off the mistakes go away. As for sanding I use all kinds of methods. Dremel with a wire brush, nail files, disk sander etc. It kinda depends on the piece. I have even used double stick tape and sanded on the lathe LOL. All in the quest for easier sanding..

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:28:16 pm »
If you are trying to get the "fuzzies" off the back side of the project try a tourch sometime. It is sort of nerve-wracking, but works really well and doesn't do the damage you would think.

jayhuck1

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 06:27:03 pm »
one trick I tried is cut a piece of sandpaper 5"X1". Fold it in half and attach it to your scroll saw. Run at slowest possible speed. Also not too much tension. I watched a video of Steve gluing sandpaper to popsicle sticks too.

SMF

Teknoromi