Author Topic: Scroll Saw Pattern Maker  (Read 4270 times)

ufgator

Scroll Saw Pattern Maker
« on: July 09, 2010, 03:39:01 pm »
Hi Steve; is there a chance you will be adding more fonts to the Scroll Saw Pattern Printer software? I think adding a little more to choose from would really enhance the program. Thank You for all you do for so many who enjoy this hobby/job!

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Scroll Saw Pattern Maker
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:44:42 pm »
I am trying to work a font in that would allow the names to be 'vertical' as opposed to horizontal?!?!?!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dawie

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:54:21 pm »
What I have been thinking of with the keychains is to make one about the size I would like, print it and then stick a different font on that I say got from word.
David

ufgator

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 05:17:05 pm »
I was refering to the Scroll Saw Pattern Printer program not the Keychain Pattern Printer program so much. I thought Steve mentioned somewhere he might add more fonts to the program in the future. 

Bill

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:38:10 pm »
I agree, 'gator Bill, but I want to make 'vertical' door and 'cubicle' name signs.

Easy enough to cut out of a blank of wood with a 'stencil' type font but I am trying for something a bit more 'original'.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

northie66

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 06:49:03 pm »
You mean something like this?

I use MS Paint to make all my patterns.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ufgator

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:24:31 pm »
Janet; what font is that you used?

Bill

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 07:41:54 pm »
That's exactly what I ma looking to do.
How do you get the letters to 'stack' like that?
Do you type and select each one separately and then move them together or do you adjust the leading?

~~GB~~

northie66

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 07:53:25 pm »
I use fonts from www.myfonts.com... I take a screenshot and paste it in MS Paint.  Then I cut the letters out and put them in a new file... stack em, clean em up, done.

If you need help, email me.  I'll workup a better explanation.

daneklund

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 08:45:54 pm »
GB.  If you use excel, you can type the text into a cell, then go to format cells and then in the fonts section, click the box that says TEXT.  It is placed vertical like you want.  You can select any font and size that you have installed on the system.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 09:37:34 pm »
E...S....

I am much more familiar with "Pagemaker" than Excel. I come from a 'printing' background.

I think I can do it there and get the letters to close up and touch each other by playing with the 'leading'. Just have to be sure that the type is "Justified" and not aligned left or right. That way the letters will stack right on the center line.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 09:38:10 am »
Janet,
how about posting a tutorial that we can all learn from.  Try and remember I'm computer illiterate...so fancy jargon like kerning etc goes over my head.

GB
What is the difference between justification and aligned?  Please.

Eclipse,
Do you mean you can type the letters in a column of cells.  Like
j
a
n
e
t

Or would they all be in the same cell.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 10:23:11 am »
Dunk...
Left aligned type would look just like the 'janet' in your post. Everything is aligned on the 'left edge' of the margin. "Centered" aligns the type on the centerline of the margins, "Justified" lets the typed words and spaces 'expand' to fill the space between the margins.
I can't show examples here since the 'forum software' won't allow it.
Do you have MS Office or Works on your computer? or "Open Office"?
If so you can type a couple lines in a document and play around with the 'alignment' and maybe there is a "justified" option also.

In Excel you can type the letters in a column of cells and go to the 'format cells' and align them to be centered. I think you can then print them out and they will line up that way. My goal is to have them not only line up centered over and under each other but to have them actuall 'touching' each other and that necessitates fooling around with the 'leading' which basically is the space between the lines of type. In the old days we used small bars of lead between the lines of type to separate the lines. You can use wider or narrower strips of lead to increase or decrease the amount of space the type (paragraph) takes up in the area you want to fill. Hence the term 'leading'!

I know it is confusing but there are a lot of factors that come into play to get things the way you want them.
With old fashioned lead type there was no way to have letters in a vertical row to touch each other because of the way 'type' was constructed.
Mechanical and now electronic typesetting has changed everything in the printing field!

~~~GB~~~

daneklund

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 10:49:31 am »
Dunk - The letters all go in the same cell.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 10:51:38 am »
Sorry Dunk...I told you all I am not an Excel 'expert' but just have a nodding acquaintance with it!

~~~GB~~~

SMF

Teknoromi