Author Topic: Dewalt DW788 holding up the upper arm.  (Read 4674 times)

jcorrea

Dewalt DW788 holding up the upper arm.
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:24:25 pm »
Hi,

I just bought a new Dewalt  DW788 Type 2 scroll saw.  After reading on the internet about the issue of keeping up the upper arm, I was looking to purchase the best aftermarket lifter available.  Later, just noticed that tightening a little more the upper arm pivot bolt, the upper arm staid up by itself.   No need for a lifter.  This solution was so simple and it appears it is not affecting the operation of the scroll saw in any way.  It there something I should be aware with this method of holding up the upper arm?
Thanks,
Jorge

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Dewalt DW788 holding up the upper arm.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 03:05:20 pm »
I can't prove it but I recall hearing/reading somewhere that the bolt you mentioned shouldn't be tightened enough to hold up the arm - something about adversely affecting the internal mechanism.  Perhaps someone else can comment on this.

I use and like the Easy-Lift http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html.  Others use one of the Bigfoot products http://www.bigfootproducts.ca/Lift-N-Lock.html.  There are others available and some on the forum have made thier own arm support - do a search on the forum.

best of luck with it.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 03:30:42 pm »
Looked into purchasing one from both U.S. suppliers until I found that shipping costs were more than the cost of the lift arm. Fashioned my own from a piece of 1/2 in. dowel with cane tips on either end so it doesn't slip (crude but effective).
I like to think I have my pride, others claim I'm cheap and stubborn.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:26:54 pm »
overfifty, your profile doesn't indicate which part of the world you are in but Bigfoot is Canadian.  On the link page above they say "We Do Not Charge Extra to Ship to Australia or Anywhere else!"

The Easy Lift is supplied from the US.

Having said that, I agree with making your own.  My wife says I'm cheap but I call it frugal and inventive.  ;)  Unfortunately I couldn't come up with anything I liked so I bought the Easy Lift and, as I recall, shipping was minimal.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

sullycroller

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:01:01 pm »
Over time the bolt will loosen again requiring mor tightening until you strip it out or damage the saw. I recommend a lifter or i used a bungee cord to the ceiling like i did for mine. works great and cost was $00000000.00

sully

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 06:56:59 pm »
The Eazy-Lift was about $25 U.S. at the time (given the falling Loon probably more now), and shipping, handling and postage was about $27. Didn't check the other site as I figured it would have been similar. Cheers, Barry.

anigan

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:29:45 pm »
I keep a 1 ft length of 1x4 handy, lift the arm and stick it under.  Holds the arm up no problem.  If I'm cutting small pieces I leave the 1x4 on the far end of the saws table.

SMF

Teknoromi