Author Topic: wood warping  (Read 1234 times)

zosmatech

wood warping
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:31:04 pm »
Hi Steve.
 I have a problem. I am working with 1/4" Cherry oak trying to cut out a clock plan for my anniversary. I clamp the wood down when not in use and it does bring it back semi flat, but even as I am cutting it for long hours it starts right back warping and flopping on my scroll saw. My shop is in a basement and I do live on long island where its humid for the most part. is there any way to treat the wood and get it flat before I cut it? I am only on the front end and first piece of this project and I am so discouraged already, and have paid a lot for the parts and wood. If any one can help it would be really appreciated. I know one of you guys or gals will set me(my wood I should say) straight  thank you in advance.
                            Peter (aka zosmatech) from NY

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: wood warping
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:19:10 pm »
Peter, If you take precautions you can minimize warping of thin woods.
First you need to let air circulate around both sides of the wood. Do this by either stacking the wood with stickers between each board. Or what I do is lean them against a wall or bench To allow air circulation.
When you apply a paper pattern to one side of the board you inhibit that side from absorbing as much moisture as the back side and that is when the board will warp.
If you don't think you will finish cutting it in one sitting then apply a blank sheet of paper on the back side. This will help inhibit the warp. Also don't leave the work piece on the scroll saw table as the top of the board will absorb more moisture as the bottom of the board and cause the warp.
If you use packing tape on the top of the work piece then apply it to the bottom also.
I hope these steps will help with the warp.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:22:32 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:47:59 pm »
The high humidity is the probabal cause, if you can bring the humidty down in you work shop that should do it
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 03:24:30 am »
I was going to suggest a room de-humidifier for the shop and storage area also.
Humidity is a problem here in MO also.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:53:17 pm »
Another good place to keep wood is in the fridg, there is no humidity in a fridg. some people say they dry unstable wood in the fridg, worth a try?
Jimbo

sp_343

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:21:30 am »
I was having trouble with my wide thin wood warping in the basement.  I got a de-humidifier and it has already started to come back to flat again.

SMF

Teknoromi