Author Topic: arrow of light  (Read 1851 times)

Rising_Creek

arrow of light
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:29:39 am »
Hi Steve,

I am a rookie scroller. Trying to do an arrow of light project for my
son for boy scouts. I bought a Porter Cable saw at Lowes. Your videos
have been helpful. I am having difficulty getting my cuts straight. I
watched the video explaining the burr on the blade. To cut at an
angle, not straight to the blade. Can you tell me if the scroll saw is
the best tool for this job? Any advice for sanding the sides straight?
Just wrap sandpaper in a block of wood?

I am open for feed back. It may just be my skills at this point. I
will include an attachment with this email of what I am attempting to
make. Then a 2nd email with my work samples.

Thanks,

Dan

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: arrow of light
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:27:14 am »
The scroll saw is ideal for this job, however that being said there are a lot of very straight cuts required for this project and you will need to practice, practice, practice to get them down.  You may find except for the interior cut that a band saw may be better suited for this project if you are in a hurry to get it done.

Don't give up on the scroll saw it is very versatile, there is a learning curve however and some folks get impatient & discouraged.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:52:22 am »
Welcome Dan. I am Dustin from Ohio. Like Mike said, practice makes perfect. The more you play around with the saw, the more you will get used to it's ways and how it particularly cuts with the angle to feed the wood in and such. I would like to see a picture of the final project when you are done. Good luck.

Becky

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:12:46 am »
Hi Dan,

For sanding the inside cuts - where I assume you are having the problems, you're on the right track.  Maske yourself a little sanding stick out of quarter or half inch thick scrap (whatever size fits).  I would make it wide enough to fit the ends of the rays but you can also make it wider.  Glue a piece of sandpaper to it and use that.  I usually put on enough sandpaper to cover about 1/2 the length of my 4"-5" stick.  That way I have a fair bit of paper to use and plenty of wood to hold on to.  And remember, the stick has two sides so you can use both.  :)  After the initial straightening, you will probably want to repeat the process using finer grits.  Oh, and if you don't have any scrap laying around, you can also use popsicle sticks or tongue depressors.  You can get them for cheap at a craft store.

Pushing harder won't make it sand any better but it might make you break the piece.  Firm pressure for sure but don't go all Incredible Hulk on it.  If your lines are pretty wavy, you might want to use a more aggressive grit but be careful not to distort the final shape you're aiming for.  You might call these lessons from unhappy experiences, lol.

As the others have said, straight lines take a bit of practice.  If you stray from the line, move back to it gradually and it will be less noticible than a large correction.  And this will sounds stupid perhaps, but don't forget to relax and breathe.  I don't know how many times I caught myself holding my breath when I was starting out.  It doesn't help!  Good luck!

Rising_Creek

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 07:02:23 pm »
Here's the final Steve. I am pleased with the results. The jig saw was the key for me to get the straight cuts right. Thanks for the help.

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:02 pm »
It looks really nice.  I found it easier to make straight cuts by using a larger blade for them.  They don't wander so much.
Keep up the good work.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 04:28:16 am »
look great,

an other tip for cutting straight:

look at the blade and keep it in line with the line of the pattern.
at first with the line for the blade, then after a short cut on the already cut line of the pattern.
if the blade matches the line behind the blade you can use this as a reference guide to keep the line straight.
sometimes I close one eye to align blade and pattern on long straight cut.

and yes. practice, practice.
the more you practice the more you will cut with feeling instead of convulsive holding the wood.
think of riding a car, do you really change course every 0.5 seconds?
or do you drive on "feeling" to make a straight ride?

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi