Author Topic: Hey StreeterKid  (Read 1882 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Hey StreeterKid
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:55:17 pm »
It looks like you have inadvertently locked you post. As for your questions, As a scroll saw instructor, I start my beginner students of using 3/4" pine. It is cheap and easy to cut. As far as blades, a #5 skip tooth blade is the best blade to start off with. Either an Olson #5 skip tooth or a Flying Dutchman Polar #5. After you get the hang of the saw you can start trying different hardwoods and plywoods in different thicknesses, and different blade sizes and types.
You can find Flying Dutchman Blades at www.mikesworkshop.com. You can find Olson blades at any woodworking store or at www.sloanswoodshop.com
BTW. welcome to the forum! Please go to the introduction page and introduce yourself so we can better welcome you!
Dan In Southern California

StreeterKid

Re: Hey StreeterKid
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:02:12 pm »
Sorry about locking my post, I just unlocked it. Thanks for your imput. I appreciate it! I will certainly get pine to practice on and will look for those blades that you suggested.  :D

And just because I am new to this and want to learn as much as I can, why exactly do you recommend a #5 skip tooth? Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:05:08 pm by StreeterKid »

daliclimbs

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »
Hey buddy! I think Dan is recommending that size predominantly for the 3/4 material. You can of course get them in other sizes both smaller and larger. Skip tooth blades are very forgiving for someone just starting to use a scroll saw. As you get the feel for scrolling you will probably want to move on to a reverse or ultra reverse tooth blade. Which will yield a much smoother cut. The reverse tooth blades have teeth running up and down so they are a little harder to get used to, whereas the skip tooth all run in the same direction.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:17:42 pm »
Thanks Scott, that's exactly right!

StreeterKid

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:24:37 pm »
Thanks for sacrificing a few minutes of your time to help me! You guys are great help!

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »
Well hello and Welcome from North Dakota
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 04:55:10 pm »
Thanks for sacrificing a few minutes of your time to help me! You guys are great help!
That's what we're here for!

SMF

Teknoromi