Author Topic: My first cutting of metal - need advice.  (Read 1943 times)

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
My first cutting of metal - need advice.
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:44:42 pm »
I posted my first cutting of metal and I have a few questions:

Here is the post: http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=18717.0

My questions are these:

What is the best method of attaching the pattern?
     (I used my tried and true method of adhering the pattern with spray glue to the metal, but the heat or size I was cutting made the pattern shift before I was finished.)

How do you get the "sharp" edges gone without totally scratching the surface with a mop sander?
   (I sanded these by hand flat on the bench top with up to 1200 grit.)

Would a rock tumbler work?  What media would I use and for how long?
   (I have a tumbler, but I may buy a vibrating one if I do a lot of metal and it works better.)

If I make this into a necklace would I drill a hole in the ornament or just attach a ring to it?

I I decide to jump up to scrolling coins will it be much harder that the brass I just cut?

Thanks
Karl

(Yes for those on the other board - I posted the same! ::) )

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: My first cutting of metal - need advice.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:00:34 am »
For once, I have NO real or serious answers for you. I'm looking forward to what others with experience have to say about it.
My only thought about the pattern problem is to use carbon paper and trace the pattern directly onto the metal surface. Or sandwich the metal between two pieces of wood which would probably be a waste of materials in both metal and wood.
As for sharp edges my only idea is to sand or file the edges by hand and forget any powered tools on such a small piece. If you use REALLY fine sandpaper (like 800 grit) you may be able to remove fine scratches with metal polish (or even toothpaste) but, it is still a lot of hand work.
A rock tumbler is out of the realm of my knowledge. I know what they are and have seen them used but mostly for larger more durable parts and materials.
As for making necklaces (which would be my first plan for them) it really depends on the shape and size of the cutting. Either would work well, it is just a personal choice.
I saw your pieces in the "Brag" section and really like them. Good job! You have inspired me to try some as I have three grand daughters. :)
Now for my questions.....How thick of material do you use and what blades? I assume you use metal cutting blades but, who knows? :)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 07:33:49 pm »
Roger,

The brass was about 1/32" thick.  It is from some brass kick plates I've picked up over the years (the kind on fancy doors).  I also used metal blades for cutting and found it easy to cut.  I also backed up the metal with wood to keep the metal from bending and scratching.  (This gives me a brass and a wood product - "Two-fer"!)

Thanks for the tips Rog and I hope you give it a try.  For me I just had an idea to do it out of the blue.  My daughter (who loves horses) has already claimed them.  (Not like she had to twist my arm as that was my plan anyway!)

Karl

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:23:40 am »
Karl contact Hotshot/Randy over on the Mag forum.  He is the resident expert on cutting coins.  I dropped him a note and asked him to pop in.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:41:24 am by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

hotshot

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »
I replied on the other forum but can add a few more suggestions  Don't let any oil get on your pattern/metal.  If you are drilling your entry holes and using oil, the oil will break down the adhesive.  The metal and paper must be absolutley oil free or you will get lift quickly.  Gluing to wood does add support, but for coins, I just make a zero clearance insert out of a credit card taped to the table.  A thin piece of wood would work as well.

For coins, I only use Jewelers blades.  Low detail work I use 0/2, for higher 0/4.  There is also 0/8 that is about as small as they go, but are hard to control.  Sloans has a good selection of these.  If you use these blades, you will break a lot, but they are cheap.  Keep the motor running, if you stop it during a turn, the smaller blades will snap.

Also, when you jump down in scale, you will find you will need help seeing the very small detail.  I use a Magnifiers that a lot of scrollers use, then on top of that, I wear some very powerful reading glasses.  Yep, that means I have to get right close to the work to focus.

=====Randy
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:27:05 pm by hotshot »

SMF

Teknoromi