Author Topic: Quick help with finish on scrollsaw project  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Northerner

• View Profile
Quick help with finish on scrollsaw project
« on: December 19, 2015, 02:03:22 pm »
i use a lot of pine when i scroll and when i go to finish a project in a dark stain the edges are always darker then the surface, is there any way to prevent that from happening?
I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Quick help with finish on scrollsaw project
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:43:48 pm »
Yes.
Sand the edges to a higher grit. And pay special to the end grain, take it to the finest grit you have.
You might also try putting on a coat of 1# cut shellac before staining. It helps control the blotching that you get on softer woods like pine especially. Shellac closes up the pores of the wood a bit and makes for a more even finish.
What do you use for a final finish? I've used shellac, and polyurethane both with good results and a lot of people use lacquer also.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 09:08:12 pm »
Yep sand sand and sand some more the end grain on boards will always soak up more stain than the rest of the board.

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 08:16:24 am »
Minwax has a pre-finish that soaks into softer grains and takes the uneven color out of pine and other splotchy woods.  That with sanding pre-treating with lacquer or shellac will help.

Offline jimr1cos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 04:57:42 pm »
I've also used the Minwax Prefinish with good results on pine, birch, and aspen. The stuff evaporates quickly, so be ready to stain shortly after applying the pre-finish.
I also test my stain on a piece of matching scrap to see if the softwood is going to blotch.
Jim

SMF

Teknoromi