Author Topic: Need a little help with a pattern  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
Need a little help with a pattern
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:37:57 pm »
First off, the image below is legal, it was custom drawn for my cousin so no problem with me working with it.

I have a cousin who is a PhD Doctor that I want to convert this image to something scrolled.  Problem is I dont know if I want to do a fret or do it segmented.  I would like to see what you guys can do with the fret and if it is possible.

What I think would work best is scrolling out the inside lines cutting out the pattern and painting the colors on with acrylics. As you can see the eyes and face would take a bit of line magic to make it scrollable into one piece rather than segmented.

I have a full project drawn in Paint.net and have most of it worked out in the head.

Thanks Guys!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:00:37 pm by Pinelog »
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Re: Need a little help with a pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:17:06 pm »
something like this
Dave

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:05:25 pm »
Dave's pattern looks great. I would suggest trying to cut those cartoon lines with a big spiral - I have some #10 from Mike's that follow a line very nicely and make a honking big hole, so the drawing stands out well.

I would really discourage using acrylics after scrolling. If you want acrylics, do it without the scroll work (just paint on wood), or cut the outline of the shape and then acrylic paint the body. The bright acrylics seem to hide the effort put into scrolling.

If you want both scroll and color, take a look at a light watercolor wash. You can add a thin color and the wood will show through, then darken a little as needed. OR wet the surface (just the part you're working on, like just the shirt) then dab watercolor along the outer edge of the wet part (this is called wet-on-wet when painting). The color will bleed toward the center, giving a 3D look. Another way is to color the whole shirt, then re-wet and dab in Payne's Gray around the edge to get a shadow look. Here's a sample from last St. Patrick's Day:

The other is young kid "puzzle" using that watercolor wash: has a nice antique look to it.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:21:30 pm »
Wow thanks!  That was fast!   Looks good!  I can work with this I think.

Ray,

Here is what Im working towards... The green will be chalkboard green paint so she can actually write on it and erase it.  She is a professor at UC Davis.
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:23 pm »
That looks like a fun project. I'll watch for a posting when it's done.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi