Author Topic: simple arrowhead pattern  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
simple arrowhead pattern
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:41:45 am »
OK Im still new at this and learning the ropes.  Also I cant draw a game of hangman without it looking like spaghetti on the floor...

I have some scrap pieces of pine and such that are a bit thicker than 1/2" that I was wanting to use to make a few arrowhead refridge magnets out of to both practice my cutting skills and also play around with shaping with my sanding equipment to get the feel of what I can and cant do shaping... (NO you are not going to get me into Intarsia!  ;D) Im getting tired of cutting kittens, puppies, pigs, ducks, etc!

Problem is I cant seem to find anything with a simple shape but that I can sand down to look more real, like flint arrowheads and such.

Does anyone have an arrowhead pattern they can post, Please??

Thanks!  :)
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
Re: simple arrowhead pattern
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:36:01 am »
Pinelog,
Is this what you had in mind :)
Mahendra
mahendra

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:07:46 pm »
Yes sir!!  That was spot on!  Thank you!  ;D

WOOT I now have a Mahendra original!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:36:22 am by Pinelog »
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:42:21 am »
Steve has a pattern here:
http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/01/arrowhead-scroll-saw-patterns.html

I used my Ridgid oscillating drum sander with the smallest drum to add some random "flint chipping" to these arrowheads.

If you're making keychains, JoAnne Fabrics sells the keychain hardware - 15 pieces for $3.
http://www.joann.com/darice-key-chains-15pk-nickel-plated/xprd74439/

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:29:43 am »
Thanks Ray!  It looks like your spindle sander makes good flint marks.  Im trying to do it with my little 1" belt sander.  ATM its just a learning exercise, but still a hoot to play with for the first time.    I did look at those keychains, Interesting, do you know anyone that makes keychain parts with the split ring keychains?  I have never personally liked that style of clasp, they dont seem to want to hold up to a Man Sized ring full of keys  :o ... LOL

I did download Steve's arrowhead pattern, I should have some polymer clay in tomorrow, I want to try doing a couple of his with the clay to test and see how it works out.  I got 50 tiny hearing aid battery sized earth magnets in last week, I was thinking I could embed them in the clay and bake them so you dont see the magnet.

When I get done playing with the arrowheads I will have to post a couple if they work out.
Walter

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 12:06:21 pm »
Just a suggestion.  Try one with the magnet to see if it remains magnetized.  I used some heat on a project and the magnet was no longer magnetized.  Not sure that was the problem but no sense wasting them.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:20:15 am »
HEAT will definitely demagnetize metal. I am not sure if the 250? range will do it or not so a trial is definitely in order.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:23:10 am »
Thanks Mike.

I had gotten some TINY Neodymium Magnets 1/4 x 1/16 inch Discs and last night I discovered they are a bit too small to use just one to get a good hold.
So I guess Im going to be ordering some that a bigger diameter.  I will have to check my Forstner bits and find one that matches my bits  ;D
I did use the old wood glue and wood shavings to set them in.  That seems to work ok.  

I just did a Google search and here is the math on heat effects on Neodymium Magnets for anyone that is interested.   I guess the bottom line is, heat kills most things.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=temperature-and-neodymium-magnets

Thanks again for the heads up.  :)
Walter

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 10:28:06 am »
Mahendra,

Like I said, I cant draw a lick, but I can cut and paste!

Give that Paint.net a try!  I'm no expert with it by any stretch of my imagination but I do a passable hunt and peck.  And Google solves most questions if I need to learn a new trick with it!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:30:39 am by Pinelog »
Walter

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:58:05 am »
Walter, that is very creative :) I have been working with,Gimp,inkscape and Corel draw and I did download once and it has similar functions,the difference is ,how you saw a arrowhead and I did :) - you are on the right track .
Thanks
mahendra

Becky

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 09:05:52 pm »
I did look at those keychains, Interesting, do you know anyone that makes keychain parts with the split ring keychains?  I have never personally liked that style of clasp, they dont seem to want to hold up to a Man Sized ring full of keys  :o ... LOL

You should be able to find the split rings at Michaels or pretty much any hobby/craft shop.  You might need to go to a hardware store for the small screw eyes. 

SMF

Teknoromi