Author Topic: Blade size recommendation  (Read 1989 times)

Offline dwssr2

• View Profile
Blade size recommendation
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:28:48 pm »
Hi, I am making a puzzle using 3/4" hard maple.  I like to use FDUR, the cut is very smooth.  What size blade would be good?  3 other questions, if i run the saw on a slower speed would it be easier to stay on the line?  will the wood want to burn on a slower speed ( I can change the blade often)?  Would packing tape on top of the pattern have any advantage?  Thanks for any help.  dan in Pa 

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Blade size recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:34:16 pm »
It depends on what kind of puzzle you are making.
For a jigsaw puzzle, FD has special (really thin) blades just for that purpose.
If it is a 3D type puzzle (which if you are using 3/4" material it probably is) Your favorite 3/4" cutting blade will do just fine.
If you are making a simple child's jigsaw puzzle you can use a thicker blade for a wider kef for ease of assembly for smaller folks.
No, the wood won't burn at slower speeds and yes, it does make it easier to follow the pattern lines at slower speeds. Burning comes from heat generated by faster speed of the blade AND build up of saw dust in the cut AND of course a dull blade gets hotter too.
Yes the packing tape will help lubricate the blade and reduce heat as you are cutting so, it is generally recommended for almost any type of cutting by most folks.
I will add that slower speed of course increases the time it takes to cut a pattern. As you gain experience you will find that you want to go to a faster speed. You will also find that sometimes when making a long straight or curved cut it is easier to follow the line by going faster.
Another thing I will add just for information. If you do get off line as you are cutting, DONT PANIC just ease back to the line and keep going. After you remove the pattern you will never know where you may have gotten off line and neither will anyone else. Sometimes if you get off line and stop and try to correct too fast, it will be more noticeable than if you had just continued the cut.
HAVE FUN AND KEEP MAKING SAWDUST!

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:38:07 pm »
I have found using Hard Maple I prefer a #5 polar blade usually I use a fdur#3 for 3/4 stock but maple is much harder to cut.  just my 2 cents. I've only cut several thousand puzzles...LOL
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline dwssr2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:21:10 pm »
Hi, thanks for the replies, I wanted to add that I do use blue tape for easier pattern removal, and wonder if this helps or is it still a good idea to use packing tape? Also I am in no hurry to make cuts. I would sooner make a nice job even if it takes much longer.  dan in Pa 

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 11:05:44 am »
I use a lot of 3/4 hard maple for my puzzles and I use nothing but FD blade #03. 
check my site to see the puzzles if you want to.  http://artisticsawdust.com
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi