Author Topic: Fretwork Base & Rim on Turned Platters & Bowls  (Read 1473 times)

Keith Sharples

Fretwork Base & Rim on Turned Platters & Bowls
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:16:06 am »
Hi!  I'm hoping to start (when my saw arrives & I develop the skills required) doing fretwork on turned bowls & platters, maybe with some inlay eventually.  Has anyone here tried this before?..any hints or tips?  I know that the overall depth of the piece must be able to be cut by the saw, but the actual thickness that I aim to be cutting will be about 5/8 inch max. and maybe with a slight angle cut no more than about 10 degrees.  I may also, providing the idea works out, try making some clocks this way, where the clock mechanism is housed is the hollowed out section of the "bowl", having the face cut into the "base".  All just ideas so far, but I think (and hope) I will find a way of doing them.   ;D

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Fretwork Base & Rim on Turned Platters & Bowls
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:22:59 am »
I'm not quit sure what your intentions are. Are you wanting to make bowls on the scroll saw? If so, no problem.
But, if you are turning bowls on a lathe and then wanting to do scroll work on the bottom of the bowl or around the lip....."Houston we have a problem".
It depends on how deep the bowl is. If it is 2" deep or less and say 8" diameter, you may be able to do some cutting on the bottom but, the edges are going to be tough. More than likely you will need to use spiral blades so that you don't have to turn the work piece under the upper arm. Or maybe if you remove the table and cut the edges from outside of the bowl and let the bowl hang down over the front but, still you will need a support of some sort to rest it on while you do the cutting.
If I'm understanding what you want to do correctly, you might just as well get a hand powered fret saw and clamp the bowl in a vice to cut out around the edge or lip of the bowl.
Please correct me and explain a bit more about what you are trying to do. Not only I but, there are plenty of folks willing to help with anything scroll sawing related on this forum.

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Keith Sharples

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:50:30 am »
I'm not quit sure what your intentions are. Are you wanting to make bowls on the scroll saw? If so, no problem.
But, if you are turning bowls on a lathe and then wanting to do scroll work on the bottom of the bowl or around the lip....."Houston we have a problem".
It depends on how deep the bowl is. If it is 2" deep or less and say 8" diameter, you may be able to do some cutting on the bottom but, the edges are going to be tough. More than likely you will need to use spiral blades so that you don't have to turn the work piece under the upper arm. Or maybe if you remove the table and cut the edges from outside of the bowl and let the bowl hang down over the front but, still you will need a support of some sort to rest it on while you do the cutting.
If I'm understanding what you want to do correctly, you might just as well get a hand powered fret saw and clamp the bowl in a vice to cut out around the edge or lip of the bowl.
Please correct me and explain a bit more about what you are trying to do. Not only I but, there are plenty of folks willing to help with anything scroll sawing related on this forum.

Rog

Hi Rog,   My plan is to turn a shallow, lip-rim bowl,(looking like a brimmed hat shape) that I will cut into with the scroll saw.  The overall hight of the piece will be no more than 1 1/2 inches, so allowing it to fit between the table & upper arm of the saw.  I then plan to cut a design into the base (with the project the normal way up) and also into the lip-rim (with the piece upside-down) keeping the area I will be cutting closest to the saw table.

I hope this clears up any confusion here.   :)

Keith.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 05:06:12 pm »
OK then...GO FOR IT!! ;D 
Just be sure to post pictures of it. I an really anxious to see what you come up with.  8)
 It doesn't sound like much of a soup bowl but, I can see where it might look really sharp!  ;)
Come to think of it, what do you intend to do with it? Hang it on the wall?  If you do inlay, it might be a cool looking candy dish?  :)

Rog

PS....Here is my latest candy bowl. Done on the scroll saw.

Rog
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 05:14:23 pm by Rapid Roger »
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

pddesertrat

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 05:33:03 pm »
Well I guess I will better understand when finish pictures are posted.  Most bowls I seen with designs cut into them was referred to as piercing and it was done with a dremel type tool. 

I'm anxious to see your completed one.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 06:16:21 pm »
Keith, I think I understand. It is possible but most folks use a rotary tool as mentioned. There was an article in one of the scroll saw magazines that showed how to scroll on curved surfaces. I think the article was by the late Dirk Boelman. If I can find the article I'll let you know. It may have some useful info for you.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

SMF

Teknoromi