Author Topic: Hegner Decision And Opinion  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
Hegner Decision And Opinion
« on: October 04, 2013, 09:25:16 am »
Hey Guys I have a little problem. After 15 years my Hegner scroll saw is going. I started on it and never used anything else but this one. I'm tossed, should I buy another Hegner or one of the other brands? Is it worth paying almost double the cost of another scroll saw? I don't know anyone else around that I could try their saw. I have been to craft fairs and saw them using other brands. So I need your opinion on other brands I should look and the pros and cons. Like I said I never used anything else but the Hegner.So things like blade changes are natural to me. Any input anyone wants to give would be great.Thanks in advance for the help and the opinions.    Dave

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Hegner Decision And Opinion
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 09:41:13 am »
Opinions are like noses....Almost everybody has one.
I would like to help but, the only person that can answer your question is you. I realize that cost comes into the issue but, there is much more than that to buying something so personal.
I think the only way to find out what you prefer is to try different saws and check out the features of each one and that is a hard thing to do.. I would read as much as I could about different saws. I know that some magazines have issues that compare various brands of tools but, I can't recall right away any that have done that on scroll saws but, I'm sure there is one.
Try going to a few woodworking stores that handle scroll saws and just look, price and touch them. Even if they won't let you use the saw, you can get a feel for the quality and usefulness and features each one has.

Rog 
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 10:11:57 am »
Dave, I have had my Hegner 18v for over 25 years and never had a problem with it. Before you give up on yours, try calling Advanced Machinery at 1-800-727-6553. Speak to a tech and tell them exactly what problem you are experiencing. Your saw may need a little tweaking and it may be cheaper to have it repaired over purchasing a new saw.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 06:09:13 pm »
Hey Dave I also repeat the same thing as Mike stated.  Mine is going on 20 years and has
NEVER had one problem operating.  Knock on Wood.  LOL  I would call JEAN at where
Mike stated.  Bet yas they can get you going.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:38:31 pm »
I have two Hegners.  A 2008 model and a 1986 model and both are running fine. In my experience, the two things going for a Hegner are: They are durable, and they can almost be used with one hand.  Mine do not require me to hold down a lot on the wood to keep it on the table.  The DeWalt, I had, fell way short on both of these points. I do not know about other saws but I like my Hegners.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 09:16:15 am »
Hawk Hegner Excaliber are probably the top 3 saws don't downgrade to anything less or you may not enjoy your hobby as much if you have a saw your happy with don't switch my 2 cents

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 11:21:44 am »
When I first got my Hegner (it was given to me by my Brother approx. 5 years ago)
I had problems of it turning on sometimes.  Called Jean.  She led me to remove the
rubber cover over the on/off switch.  The electronics inside was caked with sawdust.
I cleaned it out and has been working perfectly since.  Just my 2 cents....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

hotshot

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 01:26:35 pm »
My Hegner is about 20 yrs old.  I did have a connector rod break, and for $80, I'm back and running.  The construction on the Hegners is super simple, and all parts are available.  If the motor itself is going, then your in for a very costly repair, especially if it is variable speed.  Nothing Hegner is cheap, but almost everything is replaceable.

I have two Hegners and an EX, but tend to use and enjoy the EX much more.  If I had to repair any of my saws, I'm most confident I could repair the Hegners.  The EX is a joy to drive, but if it ever goes south and I have to repair it, I'm toast.

-----Randy
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:30:06 pm by hotshot »

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 08:03:24 am »
I currently have a Hegner, I did had a cheap brand before and I don't want to go back to that again.
think all top brand will be good, so look for functions that you "need".

Hegner = 18" or 22"
DeWalt = 20"
Excalliber = 21"

Do you like top or bottom feeding?

All I can say: I'm a happy verry  Hegner user!

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 07:29:15 pm »
I currently have a Hegner, I did had a cheap brand before and I don't want to go back to that again.
think all top brand will be good, so look for functions that you "need".

Hegner = 18" or 22"
DeWalt = 20"
Excalliber = 21"

Do you like top or bottom feeding?

All I can say: I'm a happy verry  Hegner user!

Do not get a Dewalt to much back and forth motion
Get a Ecalliber 21 from this year the 2013 model.  But test one more before getting one.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 05:41:06 pm »
I had need of a repair part for my 1986 Hegner and got it today I ordered it about a week ago.  Up and running now for another 27 years or so.

No PHD, just a  DD 214

ChuckD

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:09:26 pm »
I have had my Hegner for almost 20 years and never had to spend a penny on repairs.  There is not an awful lot that can go wrong with it.  On the other hand I would like my P-20 too if I could keep the blades in it.  Good Luck

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 10:59:43 pm »
Guys, Thanks for all the info. I changed the circuit board last year and to me it still seems like it isn't running right. I did tae it to Advanced Machinery and they said there was nothing wrong with it. Hopefully its all in my mind. I was cutting a lot of oak so maybe it appeared to be running slow. I'm going to keep using it this winter and cut other items and see if I feel the difference. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I love my Hegner......Dave

Offline dwssr2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 11:46:03 am »
hi,,,i am having a hard time deciding which used saw to buy,,,of course it depends on what is available,,,i have had no chance to see any saws in action,  dose anyone here use the professional model hegner?  I sure would appericate any comments about this saw.  thank you   dan in PA 

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:48:48 pm »
I bought the "Professional" Hegner Polymax-3 in 2008.  I am retired and run it almost every day.  I do not do fretwork so all of my cutting is on 3/4" - 1 3/4" wood.  I killed a DeWalt in 20 months cutting wood at this rate and thickness as has one of my friends.  Changing speeds is simple and quick on the Polymax and there is no circuit board to go out on you.  The Polymax MUST be mounted on the heavy duty stand and it must be secured to the floor to stop the shaking of this heavy duty saw.  Mine is  running smooth still after five years.

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi