Author Topic: chipping  (Read 1338 times)

shutterbugdm

chipping
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:35:51 pm »
I am making a hummingbird (8x10" without borders included) ON 1/4" Baltic Birch using a Dewalt DW788 on slow speeds for control. Blades are Flying Dutchman FD-UR no. 5 with a no. 65 mini-bit pilot hole. Before starting, I sand down the good side, blue tape it entirely, then attach pattern to the tape using 3M spray glue. Doing all this I am getting chipping periodically and do not know how to resolve this. All help would be appreciated.  Attachment show what I mean by chipping.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: chipping
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:10:56 pm »
Where are you buying your birch plywood from? It sounds like the birch plywood you are using is the type from Home Depot or Lowe's. If that's the case it is not designed for scroll sawing. It is usually used for drawer bottoms, under-lament etc.

You need to get a good Baltic Birch Plywood like from    Sloan's Woodshop
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:22:06 pm »
yeah that stuff from home depote sucks and lowes. I had got a half of sheet of it and I thought it was baltic birch plywood.

There might be something wrong with your scroll saw. call dewalt the number is in the manual.  ASK for Tim Jordan.  Make sure that you are close to your scroll saw maybe it can listen to it and tell you that something what might be wrong with it or it could be a controller that need to be replace.

good luck.. I have me in getting fix i hope..... I have some easter to stuff to cut out so i hope to have it back by friday and then i'll get the dust flying again.. try a olson blade matchspeed rev number 5 blade and see if that fix it...   I like the olson blades that the only ones I can get locally un less steve good sends me some free FD blades LOL.......
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:37:32 pm »
Is the chipping coming from cutting or drilling? If drilling is causing it the more correct term is "tear out" can can be solved by putting something behind the project, changing the speed of the drill or getting a sharper drill bit.

Sometimes sanding the back side nice and smooth before you start cutting helps. You could also stack cut two projects at a time, that way the chipping should only happen on the very bottom piece and all of the top pieces are good to go.

shutterbugdm

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:11:50 pm »
I used my last piece of Home Depot for the hummingbird. I do have 10 pieces of 12x12x1/4 BB I got from Sloan's. Guess I'll start over using the good stuff. I do sometimes buy BB from a craftmans' hobby store locally but I guess the get it from the same source as Home Depot as they sell in in 4x4 ft sheets and it is B/BC Baltic Birch.  I did make one rose fret out of Sloan's and had no chipping. Now

bluesuede

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:12:16 pm »
Is the chipping on the under side or top side? If on the top what about the tape, it could be that when you remove the tape it is lifting the edge of a weak piece and taking it with it. In looking closer at your picture it looks to be the under side, how much clearance do you have around the blade, if it's a fair sized hole then that could cause some chipping on more delicate projects.
Bruce ;D

shutterbugdm

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:11 pm »
I used my last piece of Home Depot for the hummingbird. I do have 10 pieces of 12x12x1/4 BB I got from Sloan's. Guess I'll start over using the good stuff. I do sometimes buy BB from a craftmans' hobby store locally but I guess the get it from the same source as Home Depot as they sell in in 4x4 ft sheets and it is B/BC Baltic Birch.  I did make one rose fret out of Sloan's and had no chipping. Now I know better. Thanks for the help.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 02:29:58 am »
 ::)
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

SMF

Teknoromi