Author Topic: Picture frame help  (Read 2203 times)

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
Picture frame help
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:55:20 am »
  ;) Need a little help on making picture frames.I have a 10 inch slide arm miter saw and have set it at 45 to cut frames.But they just don't match up tight. Is there a small trick to the trade I am not doing?

Dave W

Re: Picture frame help
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:15:11 pm »
Funny, I was actually looking at something like this earlier.  I found this through a link in the "Tips and Tricks" section:

http://woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip080400wb.html

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:24:27 pm »
Great tip, it's so simple that I would never have thought of it.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:28:51 pm »
I haven't used my miter saw in years. I use a dedicated sled on my table saw. Whichever tool you use to cut your miters, it is crucial that the length of each pair of sides are identical, so it is important to use stops.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:56:44 pm »
You also might want to make sure you are cutting a true 45.  Check at 0  or 90 degrees then see if your 5 is a true 45. I recently bought a digital protractor and it works great. I check it aganist several different rules and squares.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 05:34:07 pm »
Funny, I was actually looking at something like this earlier.  I found this through a link in the "Tips and Tricks" section:

http://woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip080400wb.html
  Thanks for the link to the woodworking tips.It makes alot of sense,I'll give it a try.Also went to their home page,they have a ton of info.,it's bookmarked for later.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:48:42 am »
Another method used on tablesaws and radial arm saws (should work on a sliding miter as well) is to make a jig which can be clamped to your saw with a 90' joint so you don't have to reset the angle on your saw.  For each joint you cut the left hand pieces on the left and the right hand on the right.  If the length is the same, they should match perfectly even if your angle is slightly off due to the fact that the jig was at 90'.  I hope you can picture what I am trying to describe.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Graywolf

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 12:17:02 pm »
What a great tip. I also went to their web site and booked marked it.

Thanks

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 01:20:05 am »
Thanks for the tip.I bookmarked it also.Its always good to find a site that could help all of us out.....Dave

SMF

Teknoromi