Author Topic: Dust Problem  (Read 4696 times)

Kragax

Dust Problem
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:55:55 pm »
Hi, Okay I used to do some scroll sawing years ago. Now that I'm retired I wanted to get back into it. But I'm having issues I don't remember having before. One of them is being able to see what I'm doing. It's not old guy eyes, it's the saw dust. It seems the blower doesn't work as good as it used to on my saw (old Ryobi). So I went and got an aquarium air pump. I little improvement but not a lot. I have been gluing paper to wood like I used to do but dust seems to cling to the paper. I'm wondering if I need a better grade of paper. If I used packing tape over the paper would this help clear the dust. I'm about ready to chuck it. Any ideas?

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
Re: Dust Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:13:08 pm »
If the blade is installed upside down, It brings a lot of sawdust up instead of down.

Don't ask me how I know that!!!!!   :D   :D 

jerry

Kragax

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:49:02 am »
Thanks for your reply. yes I checked that as I have done that before.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:10:00 am »
On your aquarium air pump, it needs to be a large one and a nozzle on the end of the tube to reduce the opening size to create a stronger air flow. The nozzle also needs to be close to the blade (area you are cutting).

I do not use packing tape on top of the pattern. It seemed to create more dust problems. If I need it for lubrication I will put it on the bottom of the wood. I have been cutting without it now for a couple years and really do not see a need for it. Even cutting hardwoods.

As far as paper type I use whatever is on sale/cheap. For me the thinner the better.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 09:30:36 am »
The airflow on my saw (EX21) increases as the speed increases.

Kragax

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:07:17 pm »
I necked down the end of the tube I am using from the pump and it helped quite a bit. Now I just have to learn to cut a straight line.

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 11:12:48 pm »
I necked down the end of the tube I am using from the pump and it helped quite a bit. Now I just have to learn to cut a straight line.

Straight lines are over rated  ;D That's what table saws are for!

Ray

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:20:10 am »
Good luck on the straight lines...never had much luck in that department as Ray stated they are over rated.

Merlin***

Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:21:08 am »
Have the same problem with the dust. What I did was , I built a stand and put a fan on it , at just the right level to blow of all the dust.Works great for me.I'll try and take a picture and post it later.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:02:35 am »
Mickey,
Turn you fan around and put a furnace filter on the near side. It will "suck" the dust away and trap it in the filter for better breathing in the shop. It saves a bit of time sweeping the floor too.  ;)

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 03:26:03 pm »
Can't say anymore that all of ya's have already said except for....I AGREE ON EVERYTHING....
I also use a SMALL adjustable fan that is mounted directly to the right of the saw.  It blows across the
area where I cut.  Also have the adjustable tubing hooked to the saw that blows it to the left.  All the
dust goes directly into a waiting square fan blowing away and has a good air filter attached. 
Catches most all the dust.                                              my 2 cents..................................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Graywolf

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 04:32:06 pm »

Straight lines are over rated  ;D That's what table saws are for!

Ray

You cut straight lines on a table saw.  !!WOW!!  Wish I could do that.  LOL

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 11:36:23 am »
I have tried many ways to get that dust off of the pattern.  Original bellows blower, aquarium pump, compressed air from my shop compressor, shop vac, (killed three of those) and, dust collector hook up.  What I find woks the best is this fan setting beside me blowing the dust away. $50 at Lowes.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Blue Peeps

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 09:20:45 pm »
My DeWalt 788's blower (Type 1) does an excellent job at keeping dust off my lines.
It was one of the very first things I noticed about the 788, how much better it was at keeping the dust off my patterns, even when scrolling at slow speeds.
It's one of those "little things" that has greatly reduced my frustration while scrolling.

I use a large box fan with a furnace filter to trap the airborne dust that is generated by my scroll saw, and I also have a HEPA filter running 24 hours a day that should clean up any dust that remains (I use the scroll saw in my home, so that is the reason for the multilayered dust collection).

I also wear a 3M 6000 series respirator at all times while I am scrolling, cutting or sanding wood. I won't do any work without it.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 04:04:17 pm »
If you use a fish tank pump get the bigger pumps for like 60 gallon and up tanks, the smaller 10 gallon tank pumps don't puff out enough air and over time get weak, trust me. I got a bigger pump and its alot better, in fact it has two outputs for tubes so you could rig up dual tubes, or use the T connector and run both tubes into one.

SMF

Teknoromi