Author Topic: Poor Choice of Wood... Or not!?!  (Read 686 times)

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
Poor Choice of Wood... Or not!?!
« on: July 25, 2021, 10:13:28 pm »
Been working on this piece for about a month now. The wood is 11 x 14 MDF laminated with an unknown veneer and is 3/4 inches thick. I thought the veneer was somewhat unique with the contrast of light and dark. I stained it with a natural oil and then sprayed with about a half dozen coats of clear gloss sanded with 300 between each coat. The picture makes it look like the finish is rough but it is very smooth. The piece is extremely heavy and gave me a fit trying to cut it on my small table. I used both Pegus #3 and #5 MGT and a few FD #5 Ultra Reverse. (This wood was tough on blades.) To clarify, the wood was reclaimed from a table that had been trashed. My wife works for a school and their mascot is a lion. Needless to say she has claimed this piece for herself.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
Re: Poor Choice of Wood... Or not!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 04:06:03 am »
Beautiful work Rodney. This must have taken a good deal of time.

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 02:00:43 pm »
Beautiful work Rodney. This must have taken a good deal of time.
Thanks DanO. Yes, probably about 8 hours just cutting time. But I must say that my wife has added to the project and made it much more appealing. She's pretty darn good with a brush and paints and went to work. Attached is the final outcome. I give all the credit for an attractive piece to her!

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 10:18:07 am »
Very good work. 

I shy away from MDF because it is hard on the blades and I do not like the dust if produces when it is cut.

Larry

SMF

Teknoromi