Author Topic: Jig and Jointer/Planer  (Read 1585 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Jig and Jointer/Planer
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:34:38 pm »
I just finished a sideboard for the kitchen for the wife's birthday - 56" wide, 20" deep, 41.5" tall. I splurged on the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig ($139 version). Used it to build the carcass, the front face, and to edge join 1x12 and 2x12 planks to make the shelves (17.5" wide) and working top (20" wide). If you have not tried it, I HIGHLY recommend getting one. It not only makes the jointing a pleasure and very strong, but the clamp in the base makes a great third hand for holding work in progress.

I've been considering getting a bench top jointer for some time - it would have made the top and shelf joints a little cleaner. A nice square edge would also improve the pocket hole joints (although they were pretty good just using the chop saw). I looked at the Jet 8" Jointer/Planer, the Porter-Cable 6" jointer, and the Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer. Grizzly also has a bunch available.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on a machine that will do a good job w/o breaking the bank.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Brian Pardue

• View Profile
Re: Jig and Jointer/Planer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 03:48:11 pm »
I have had the 6" porter cable joiner for several years now and I really like it. I buy a lot of my lumber rough & re-saw. both porter cable's 6" joiner & their 12"planer are wonderful. I have really never had any issues with either. 

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:35:42 pm »
I've got a 6 inch Delta. Works good and has been trouble free. My only gripe is that the bed and fence are made of aluminum so it will leave black marks on light colored wood at times. Easily sands off though.
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 06:10:02 pm »
I know you asked about benchtop, but I would urge you to go with a floor model if at all possible.  They are far more stable, and the motors are intended for longer and more frequent use.  A good 6" version can often be found on Craigslist for $150 or so.  Size matters in jointers!  I used a 6 inch Jet for several years and then had an opportunity to switch to an 8" version, also Jet.  I love having the 8" even though workspace is at an absolute premium in my little shop.  Best of luck whichever way you go.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi