Author Topic: Is it Neccessary?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Is it Neccessary?
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:02:30 pm »
I have been using FIREFOX FOR A YEAR OR MORE.  Had a issue today concerning IE.  Nothing serious, but
does IE need to be on my computer?  If so explain how to remove it.            Thanks in Advance........Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline barb e

• View Profile
Re: Is it Neccessary?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:20:44 pm »
According to my tech husband, it can't be removed, but can be hidden better.  He didn't tell me how, however!!!

alien11

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 07:28:14 am »
You can turn it off, here's how:-

Go to Control Panel, select "Uninstall or Change a Program". A new box will open; in the right-hand column are those programs you can remove or change - IE in not listed; in the left hand column click on "Turn Windows features on or off". Another box will open, and it will take several seconds to populate. IE will be listed, uncheck its box.

Good luck,

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 03:48:05 pm »
While you can hide IE you can not remove it.  There are a ton of file associations that are set up to open with IE.  Some of these are fairly easy to change but there is a core of 8 associations that can not be easily changed and when as you surf  you hit one it will try to open IE.  The new WIN10 is rumored to be able to not have IE installed, we shall see.  Anyway you can change most of the file associations to your other browser and go from there.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:29:50 pm »
I KNOW ITS BEEN SOME TIME SINCE I....REMEMBERED ASKING....  I DID CLICK ON CONTROL PANEL AND ALSO ON
TURN "ON" OR "OFF" AND ....DID....CLICK ON ....IE....  AND A....WARNING POPPED UP SAYING OTHER PROGRAMS
ARE CONNECTED, SO NOT KNOWING MY WAY AROUND THESE THINGS I JUST LEFT WELL ENOUGH ALONE.  Whew!

Is there anything wrong with letting IE run?  Still use FIREFOX FOR EVERYTHING.  Danny  :+}

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 12:08:26 pm »
Microsoft embedded IE pretty deep into the Windows operating system. You can ignore it, and set Firefox etc. as your default browser, but I would not try to remove IE even if there is a backdoor way to do it.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 03:06:07 pm »
WELL AGAIN ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I WAS LAST HERE.  THINK I SHALL JUST DO NOTHING AND KEEP ON TRUCKING WITH FIREFOX AS MY DEFAULT BROWSER.   Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi