Author Topic: Help-Help-Help  (Read 1325 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Help-Help-Help
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:44 pm »
Just got home from my Am. Legion meeting, a guy brought in a b&w pic of the USS New Jersey w/crew, including him in the pic. He had it "rolled up". It's 30"X10" I said you gotta get this in a frame...well b/4 I knew it I volunteered to make the frame. I have never really done that b/4, just for myself(no critiquing there).  I think I can do the frame ok, though I would appreciate any suggestions, but the pic is already 65 yrs. old what should I use for a backing, the pic is in really good shape considering, only a couple minor tears. I have heard cardboard isn't good because of the acid? or does that really matter. Last time I volunteered I had to change the tire of the squadron commanders truck...HELP
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:58:06 pm by yyyyyguy »
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Help-Help-Help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:21:50 pm »
Hey Pete...find someone who can and does do "archival" framing!
They will do mounting with 'acid free' backing and mount it so it will not be subject to twisting and 'racking' in the frame and under glass.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:17:02 am »
You said it better than I could have GB! Right on.
A good idea would be to see if they could make a negative or a print of it as well. It should probably be in a museum. Display the copy protect the original!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 02:00:50 pm »
thanks guys, will be talking to him today

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:57:47 pm »
I agree with GB. Something that priceless should be handled with care. Let a professional do it.  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

shutterbugdm

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 08:38:31 pm »
I took the easy way out. My dad passed on to be 2 (two) 14x20 original prints of Operations Crossroads 1st and 2nd test of the Atomic Bomb at Bikini Atoll after WWII (he was involved). They had been rolled up since he received them in 1946. Both prints are original photos of Operations Crossroads Able and Baker. When I was in D.C. last year I gave both to the U.S. Navy Memorial and
they sent them to the Naval Yard Museum in D.C.
Another point, my dad was on the pier next to the USS Arizona on 12/07/41 (Pearl Harbor attack).

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:01:04 pm »
Took your advice, took it to a pro today, however I'm sure my friend was looking to have it done on the cheap (free) so will be paying for it myself but I'm glad to do it. He was so happy when I offered to make the frame for it I'd hate to tell him that now it'll cost him.   Thanks again Pete

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:53:28 am »
A smart and VERY generous move!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Graywolf

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 06:07:41 pm »
Make sure if it has glass that you use UV protected glass. I have come across a John Lennon poster that came in the album "images" I believe, dated 1971. It is folded and in a yukey frame; has water damage. I went to a photo gallery and they are going to help me get it restored. He mentioned I need to make sure I get the right glass.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:28:05 pm »
Made sure it was UV and non-glare  8)

SMF

Teknoromi