Author Topic: A couple questions about the EX saw  (Read 3026 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
A couple questions about the EX saw
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:16:17 pm »
So far I have been loving this saw best money I spent, but haveing to retrain myself to a new saw is the fun part, I still catch myself reaching back to release the tension knob lol.

One thing I am kinda worried about is a tapping or rattleing if you say on the saw at certain times? Is this normal or is there something loose, do others have this issue or do I need to look at something? I check the bolts and nuts around the clamps make sure they weren't loose or coming loose, looked it over, have the arm adjusted right per the book. After spending alot of dough on this saw I don't want to mess it up. So far its doing great.

Another thing I noticed is on the back side of my project I get this gray coloring where the table color is rubbing off, hope this is something that will stop, I did put some paste wax on it, as just the bare table was still hard to control the work. And can see some small scratch marks from the wood, its good clean bb from craft store, I guess this won't hurt it other than looks.

I do like the dust collection on it, wished it had a adapter that fit the shop hose vac, went to lowes bought a pvc fitting that fits inside the black tube taped that on then the hose fit, but when the vac is on sounds like a jet engine in there with the air whistleing in the holes, bad thing is at a point the vac has some much suction it hold the work to the table, kinda nice though it won't move and won't let it jump up, and does keep the dust off the work when the air pulls through the kerf.

Overall I am loving this saw, I should have bought it long time ago, just need some warm weather to move in so I can use it more.

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: A couple questions about the EX saw
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:48:48 am »
The knocking or rattling is not normal.  Although my saw is well over 10 years old and does not have a vacuum port, I still love it.  I would recommend you call Ray at Seyco.  He will walk you through any adjustment needed to stop this rattling.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:44:19 am »
I have the new Ex21 and right off removed the bottom blade guard because the blade clamp was hitting it. Not saying this is your problem, but, as Julie has said, give Ray @ Seyco a call and he will guide you through any adjustments.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:56:10 am »
I will have to try that Toneman removing the lower blade guard. This tapping or rattling is at off and on times, can be cutting and its not there then out of the blue it start rattling and it starts soft and goes up can cut for couple minutes to a few minutes then the rattle will start slowing down and go away. I have checked everything I can its all solid, nothing is loose other than what it was when I unboxed it. Give it a more better look over pull out the book with the break down diagram and see if something could be out of place or making it rattle.

It does have a very slight vibe to it, but nothing like my craftsman, I just took it thats its a scroll saw there is going to be some vibe to it, I have noticed to watch the blade placement, if its not in the clamps just right it will shake and vibrate found that out last night.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:46:49 pm »
Should be no vibration. My ex21is two years old now, I can stand a loonie, 1 dollar
Canadian coin on edge and turn on the saw and cut a piece of wood and the coin will remain standing on edge. Sometimes I get a knocking sound especially when the tension is not right or when I am making a sharp turn with a blade that is to big for the job. The source of all knocking has resulted from something that I was doing and not the working of the saw itself. I am totally pleased with my baby.  ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 04:08:52 pm »
Well I went out this morn checked it over everything is in order, if I put my ear next to the top arm and by hand turn the motor I can hear a tapping inside the arm so its not something I am doing, will keep a eye on it, I checked everything again, its no that bad now. The vibration is not bad enough to really shake something off the table its still smooth, I can leave the wood laying there with it running and it doesn't move it around, it could be just the placement of the blade or the table its on, is not real solid so it could be transferring the movement through the table and back to the saw.

Either way I love it, lots better over my craftsman I had, blade/hole changes are much faster and easier now I love that feature. Just got to get out of habit of reaching back to the rear thinking I have turn my tension knob to release the tension, lol.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 06:30:49 pm »
Try some extra weight on the table.  I use a couple of sandbags ( the ones I use to hold down the Easy-up.  A quick and simple trick to try.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:30:43 am »
As it isn't happening all the time, it could be something simple like the blade slipping in one of the clamps. I get this occasionally and the simple answer is to give the blade ends a light sanding before fitting. To check if this is the problem next time you get this knocking, stop the machine and release the tension with the white lever, if the blade has slipped there will be a large bow in the blade where it has slipped. Slacken the blade clamp and refit the blade as normal then retension with the white lever and try it again. If that was the problem then the knocking will stop.  Hope this helps

Keefie.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 07:28:11 am »
if you hear tapping in the upper arm the connecting rods may be loose. i got the ex21 and i broke the joiner/bolt off in the middle of the two rods.i had to call and get replacement parts for it.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 11:50:03 am »
As it isn't happening all the time, it could be something simple like the blade slipping in one of the clamps. I get this occasionally and the simple answer is to give the blade ends a light sanding before fitting. To check if this is the problem next time you get this knocking, stop the machine and release the tension with the white lever, if the blade has slipped there will be a large bow in the blade where it has slipped. Slacken the blade clamp and refit the blade as normal then retension with the white lever and try it again. If that was the problem then the knocking will stop.  Hope this helps

Keefie.

This may be it I have noticed I cut for some time flip the white lever and the blade will bow where it had gotten loose, will look at those clamps.  Thanks.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 12:06:25 pm »
My EX21 will make some thumping sounds when the blade has loosened, and if I flip the tension arm the blade has a bow in it. As Keefie said, clean the blade ends so it does not slip.

I made a vacuum adapter for mine. The posting is here:
http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=12985.0
It works very well - no leaking or noise.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi