Author Topic: Thinking my saw is taking a dirt nap  (Read 1524 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Thinking my saw is taking a dirt nap
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:14:18 pm »
Well after bragging how good my craftsman has been to be, its turned bad. I had it set perfect, had the front to back blade movement reduced some adn loved it, made cutting on it easier, but tonight out of no where I had side to side shake of the blade so bad I can't control my turns or make a turn. I don't know what the deal is, thinking the lower arm is worn out, I can wiggle it about 1/16th of a inch, will be tearing it down and hope there is brass bushing I and press out and replace and be good to go, if not guess will be making a trip to woodcraft and put a EX on order. Seyco still shows the EX16 out of stock, so looks like for now I may get my wish and be getting my EX I wanted.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Re: Thinking my saw is taking a dirt nap
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:53:15 am »
Sometimes bad news can result in good news.  Think you will be much happier with the EX.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:09:26 am »
You will not believe the difference! I have the EX21 and love it! My wife also has the Ex21 and is very happy with it and if she is happy, I am happy! LOL

Tony,aka,Toneman

mlwmerk

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:10:09 am »
Same thing happened to my Craftsman 16" scroll saw.  When I dismantled it I found the bearing on the lower arm to be wornout completely. 

One of the advantages of Craftsman products is that you can order replacement parts on line from Sears Parts. 

I order a new lower control arm and a new blower bellows. I got them in a few days, put the saw back together and it's as good as new. 

While you have the machine all apart, inspect each wear point and order parts if the items are not satisfactory.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:03:36 pm »
I am gonna try to tear into it toady if I don't freeze first had a big cold front blow in last night. I can order the EX from woodcraft website and pick ups 2nd air for added cost of 76 bucks, which not to bad, seyco site still shows the ex16 out of stock.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:07:10 pm »
Well I tore into today and found really not much out of place other then the lower arm bushing had the play in it, got the bushing pressed out went to 3 places no luck not even close to finding one, its a odd ball bushing. I have 3 choices, order the parts at minimum about 50 bucks just to get it going if ordering all the parts to put back new am looking at what I paid for the saw 130 bucks or last choice the one I want just trash that saw and buy a ex. I can order one from woodcraft website and have it here this week if I pay the 80 bucks for 2nd day air.

SMF

Teknoromi