Author Topic: Torn between Dewlt or Excaliber  (Read 4435 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Torn between Dewlt or Excaliber
« on: December 21, 2013, 11:16:12 pm »
I am really thinking about stepping up my game on my saw, I have a 16 inch craftsman that has been serving me well and more than likely will still keep me happy, but it comes a time when you want better. I think my skills are out growing the craftsman and I want something more high end, better built and more accurate. I have researched both, prices are about the same EX a tad higher but not by much. I have a woodcraft about 30 miles from me I think has both in stock.

I read a review on a forum on both, he was very happy with EX, not so with dewalt. Dewalt main issue he said was it does not like to hold the blades very well, more so on the top clamp, second it had a aggressive cut from the front to back blade movement. Over all it wasn't a bad saw was just he had issues from day one. The Ex he did say was great, tilting head, smooth, arm would stay up when changing blades or holes, one thing he disliked was it was slow to cut not as aggressive as the Dewalt, but also from this was very accurate, easy control so his cuts were spot on. Thats kinda where my skills need some work, accurate on the cuts, my craftsman no matter what has some vibration to it, pending more so how the blade is mounted, making sharp accurate cuts hard to make. I also watched vid on the EX features and thought it was pretty nice, the tension lever up front was nifty, he he didn't have to loosen the tension knob just the lever, remove blade up the arm, move to new hole, then back at it.

If was to get a dewalt how do I found out what type it is if its used? Would rather buy new, seyco is out of stock on the EX16, but woodcraft has it for the same price plus not paying shipping and having to wait.

So I guess the question is which one to buy to last me from here on out? Any issues other than what I mentioned? I haven't heard of any problems with the EX, other than what is the table made of? Hopes its not cast I am tired of fighting rust on my table or having to keep a thin board on it. Would be nice to catch a deal on good EX, but am willing to buy it new if it will outlast me and make my hobby more fun and in turn maybe into a business when I go to retire.

Offline Gadois

• View Profile
Re: Torn between Dewlt or Excaliber
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 12:18:43 am »
Buy the EX!

Gadois
If you can't learn how to do something well, learn how to enjoy doing it poorly.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:42:43 am »
Call Ray at Seyco and see what kind of deal he can make you on the EX.  Also, if you do any kind of bevel cutting, the EX is a must.  The table stays level and the head turns.  It makes cutting at an angle a no brainer.  Also, when changing blades, the upper arm stays up on it's own.  The Dewalt requires an aftermarket lifter to do that.  These were a couple of factors I considered when I bought my EX (over 10 years ago).  I would buy another in a heart beat.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:22:25 am »
If you can afford the EX by all means go with the EX.  I upgraded from my dewalt to an ex 3 years ago and I'm very happy I did.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 11:03:03 am »
I have a Dewalt saw and am happy with it. I've never used an Excalibur so I won't comment on which one to get but,I would recommend going with a deeper throat than a 16". My Dewalt has a 20" throat and is big enough for me but, there are times when I wish it was bigger yet.
I have had two saws previously that had 16" throats and one of the things I liked about the Dewalt right away was the deeper throat.
Just my two cents worth.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 11:07:51 am »
I can only get the 16inch if I go EX, the dewalt don't even see a 16inch model its 20 inch or bigger. But for what I do 16inch is more than enough for me, as also am limited in space in my little garage with what I can fit in there.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 11:13:48 am »
I started with a 16" hitachi, and it is a nice saw. I was getting saws for my high shop and decided to get 2 dewalts. They are nice saws, but when I decided that I needed to upgrade my home saw I knew I wanted better and went for the Excalibur.
My husband is a tool guy, so I didn't really need to justify the purchase of the better saw but the way I explained it was that if I bought the dewalt, I would still want to upgrade sometime to the Excalibur. I just skipped a step. Although if you can get a good deal on a dewalt used it might be an better option. I see more dewalts on craigslist then Excaliburs.
I believe on the motor it will say if it is a type 1 or type 2

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 11:59:59 am »
Hi Gary. I tossed the Skil in the corner and bought a De Walt from Amazon. I've been using it about three hours a day since. It's a pleasure to use but blade changes were a challenge and the blower is terrible. I've been meaning to get a fish tank pump. If your considering an upgrade, and can justify the difference in cost to the wife get the Excalibur. From our earlier communications you seem pretty determined, and the Ex will push you to the limits of your abilities. If your considering turning your hobby into a business you'll be a step ahead in the end. Good luck, Barry.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 12:06:12 pm »
Yea that skil saw was crap, my craftsman has been good and will still work but I am ready for something better. I already told my wife I wanted a bigger more costly high end saw to get better cuts. If you get a fish pump get the bigger one, I got a bigger one has dual outlets hooked up both outlets and it works better, I don't even use the billows on the saw, and also have it hooked to my foot pedal so it turns off when the saw is off.

Offline phantom scroller

• I'm Over the pond or In a pond. Hartpury in UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »
I have the EX-21 and I can tell you if it ever broke then I would instantly buy another. Nothing else to say get one.

Roly

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »
Cool sounds like I will be looking at the EX, hoping here in the near future if can talk the old lady in letting me have it and spending the 600 bucks on it, maybe smooth her over during christmas or something.

Offline phantom scroller

• I'm Over the pond or In a pond. Hartpury in UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 01:05:15 pm »
Cool sounds like I will be looking at the EX, hoping here in the near future if can talk the old lady in letting me have it and spending the 600 bucks on it, maybe smooth her over during christmas or something.
Great idea Santa. lol  Buy one and tell her Santa delivered it.

Roly

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 01:07:26 pm »
lol yea I could do that, its easier to ask for forgiveness then it is for permission.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 06:26:41 pm »
Well think my mind is set after alot of google and youtube watching the EX in action I am going for a EX prob the 16 model as I don't do anything that big for now want to keep it small. One thing I did notice is that the front to back movement of the blade can be adjusted from zero to a more aggressive cut with a turn of the motor, my craftsman is setup like that not easy to reach the screws but thought its worth a shot to see if can take any of that movement out. The things I like about the EX is the smoothness of saw, one balanced a nickel it didn't even budge, another put a glass of coke no ripples at all, another it being quiet, my craftsman is fairly loud and have to raise your voice or turn the saw off to hear, the tension lever up front looks to make it faster to change blades or move holes.

I now have to decide if I should spend the 600 bucks on it, and have two place to get it from, I have a woodcraft 30 miles away, they can order it, takes 10 days to get it. Or drive to Texas to get it from seyco store, my folks live 30 min away from Rockwall, so I could make a weekend trip but its about a 400 mile round trip. Still thinking is this worth a buy since my craftsman still runs, but at same time, I want something thats smoother to let my skills grow that much faster. Ray said though there is a shipment coming in this thur or fri and they would have them in the warehouse.

Just have to convince my other half to let me do, maybe keep watching youtube and makeing comments like look how nice that is, or man thats cool she will let go for it, usually works.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 08:42:36 pm »
I have two Ex21's and purchased both from Ray @ Seyco. Since I am attending more craft shows, I need a larger inventory and my wife decided she wanted to scroll, so, she bought her an Ex21! Yea! You will be very pleased with the customer service Ray and his wife provide. I live about 100 miles from Rockwall, so the drive is not that bad and when in Dallas, I almost always just stop by Seyco for a short visit and of course draw some scroll saw knowledge from Ray!

Tony,aka,Toneman

SMF

Teknoromi