Author Topic: Magnifying lamp  (Read 1552 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Magnifying lamp
« on: July 22, 2020, 11:27:32 pm »
I'm in the market for a magnifying lamp. There's several listed on Amazon. Anyone got one that they couldn't live without and highly recommend? Thank you.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Magnifying lamp
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 06:52:16 am »
I bought a 5 inch LED from busybee tools a number of years ago.  I think it was 2.25 magnification.

I use it as a lamp every time I scroll as it is quite bright.  To use as a magnifier you need it to have it oscillate so you can get the right angle of your pattern.  I wear glasses and have a lot of trouble getting it in the right position so I don't see double lines.  I only do this when doing Intarsia.

A few years ago there was an scrolling open house and I tested lamps from JGR and Seyco and had exactly the same problem so I think it is just me.

If you are close to a Princess Auto they carry one too.

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 11:55:59 am »
I have two saws side by side, one the Jet and the other a newer Excalibur EX16 and inbetween them
my light is the Ottlite LED with round Leds around the magnifier. I am 70 now and vision is imperative since I do a lot of detail work. Bought one on ebay at huge discount    hope this helps

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 04:35:57 pm »
Thank you  guys. (BTW, stopped at Princess Auto and they didn't have a clue.)

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 06:07:05 am »
Typical of Princess Auto.
The link to the one I saw was
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/5-in-magnifying-lamp/A-p8670697e

There was an interesting discussion on SSV on mag lights and there is a recommendation on JGR light.  It would be expensive to get to Canada but I know Frank Pellow and he would only buy the best.  When the lockdown is over, Frank and I are supposed to get together and I want to check it out. 

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/33929-slimline-led-magnifying-lamp/?tab=comments#comment-377922

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 08:27:51 am »
I looked at magnifying lights, and went with a head mounted magnifier.  Lets me focus easily, has two different magnifications, and lets me move the light to where ever needed independently.

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

SMF

Teknoromi