Author Topic: not a request - a question  (Read 1137 times)

ackmarine

not a request - a question
« on: December 27, 2011, 07:21:18 pm »
My dad recently passed away and left behind a four drawer file cabinet full of fretwork and woodworking patterns. I think they are all original purchases, not copies. I know they are copyrighted. Some of them are special commissions. Is it possible to sell these as used patterns? (After all, I can sell other copyrighted material like books or music that were purchased originally.) Is there a market for such items? If they can't be sold - or there is no market - can I give them to anyone?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
Re: not a request - a question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:20:05 pm »
I really can't amswer your question, but if you want to get rid of them let me know.  I really think you can give them away, but if they are copyrite, I do not think you can sell them.  Let me know if you want to get rid of them.  Thanks
Gene Van Grevenhof

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:22:06 am »
sorry for your loss.

If they are originals and your dad bought them I think you can sell without any problem. 
(I'm no layer, just used my common sense)
like you said: I think its the same way as with copyrights on books.

copyright means: you ain't allowed to make more copy's of it and sell them to make money. or make copy's and give them away so the author doesn't get money.
when you purchase a book it's your own,(the author did get his money) you bought it and it's no problem to sell the book after a few years on ebay or so. or just give it away.

seems to me that this works with patterns as well.
(just don't sell copy's!)

so, just put it on a website and try to sell them.
if this wont work lots of people here would like to have them.

good luck!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:27:07 am »
I have bought a ton of books and patterns off of e-bay.  I don't think it's illegal to resell what you have bought.

ackmarine

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:18:35 pm »
Thanks everyone. Once we figure out what's in the cabinet, I can let you all know what's there. If you're interested, let me know.

SMF

Teknoromi