Author Topic: How to put finish on latest project  (Read 3984 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
How to put finish on latest project
« on: February 26, 2015, 03:53:10 pm »
I just finished my latest project. It is the lab with duck in his mouth. I would like to put a light stain on it. It has so many veins and small cuts I am not sure how to do it.
I cut it out of 1/4 in. BB any suggestions would be appreciated.
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Re: How to put finish on latest project
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:09:03 pm »
See I'm the first to offer you advice.  Been using the Foam (throw away) brushes. 
     I ONLY use OIL finish.  Mainly Danish Oil.  Lots of different colors.  Quit using the Stain.
So pour yourself a bit in a container.  I use the Cheap little cups.  Just dab the oil along with
brushing it on.  Do this with BOTH sides.  The Frets will get their coating.  I Blow the frets
put with my compressor air.  And along with using a dry cloth for final wiping.
                        Hope this helps................Danny  :+}

PS  Many of us use a 50/50 mixture of Boiled Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits.  Works Great. 
Danny  :+}

Offline ed martin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:45:17 pm »
How long does it take for the oil to completely dry.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:22:26 am »
I use Danish oil on most of my projects.  It dries pretty fast.  I don't do both sides like Danny.  I just squeeze a little out of my rag or sponge to fill the frets.

Robert H. Bigart

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:43:20 am »
Hi Guys n Gals

I have had Great success with "Canola Oil" put it in a Zip top bagie and soak the piece for about 5 minutes so it gets in all of the crevices, it brings out the wood grain and the finish is not greasy.

Bob

PS. If you try it please let me know how you like the finish.

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:06:25 am »
I read a lot where people "dip" them in a shallow pan of some sort.  They pour the finish in the bottom and lay the picture in it.  Then lay the picture on paper towels or a clean lint free cloth for a few minutes, wipe and let dry.  I have not tried this but will when I get ready to finish several. 

I have used pipe cleaners to get in the small places on occasion.  They work pretty good.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:17:20 pm »
Robert H. Bigart,
The problem with canola oil and lemon oil and the like is they never fully cure.  Canola oil may actually turn rancid over time.  They can stain furniture, other wood projects weeks or even months later unless you seal over them.

I prefer danish oil as it cures hard.  I dip almost all my projects especially fretwork.  I have a dedicated pan I cover the bottom with danish oil and 50/50 mix of Mineral spirits and dip my project for a few minutes and then flip it if necessary and then hang above to let it drip for about 5-10 minutes lay it on an old towel or a paper towel and blow out any excess with my compressor.  Works great now and for over 20 years doing it this way.  Some projects will get a coat of bees wax others will get clear coated with a spray finish others will just get the danish oil treatment.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

agooday88

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 06:48:10 am »
I use to have the biggest problem with my projects being too dark in some areas and too light in others.  But now I use oil and it has made a big difference! I just dip or foam brush my projects with the oil and lay it on paper towels to dry. It is soooo much easier and it comes out sooo much nicer too. I give my thanks to this forum for the tip that they gave me months ago. :D
 I have more fun and less headaches now. lol
THANKS FOR THE PIPE CLEANER IDEA!  :)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:39:27 am »
The foam meat trays are excellent for dipping.  I have a stack of them in the shop.  On small pieces like ornaments, I pour some Danish Oil in the tray and drop my pieces in.  I let them sit a couple of minutes and then pick them up with a bent paper clip.  Hang them on a string or coat hanger and let them dry.

Offline jamminjack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 10:30:39 am »
The foam meat trays are excellent for dipping.  I have a stack of them in the shop.  On small pieces like ornaments, I pour some Danish Oil in the tray and drop my pieces in.  I let them sit a couple of minutes and then pick them up with a bent paper clip.  Hang them on a string or coat hanger and let them dry.

Soaking is definitely the best way I have found for fret work.   Sometimes the piece might be to large to do this, so I found that pipe cleaner is the way to go.
Just dip the end of the pipe cleaner into what ever you are using for a finish, and then into the fret cut out.  It gets into the smallest areas and gets a good coating on the piece.  When finished with the interior cuts now you can use the foam brush to do the face.  Works great.
Never complain about getting old. A lot of people are denied that privilege.

Custom Name Tags  brass engraved here

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 06:15:28 pm »
Hi. Can the danish oil be reused after being used for dipping.

Ben

Rover2

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 07:01:28 pm »
Yes it can reuse Danish oil.  I pour it back in the container and use it over and over again until it's all used up.

Al

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 11:50:54 pm »
The only thing you have to be aware of for Danish Oil is it will gel up on you eventually.  I like Tung Oil for the very same reasons, you can use it until it gels.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline dottyblues

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 01:46:30 am »
I do what Danny does but I use a chip brush from Harbor Freight to get into the crevices.  I also use tung oil instead.

Lately I've been using a shellac diluted with denatured alcohol mixture (2-3 coats) before the tung oil.  I will sand with a finer grit each time in between coats.    It leaves a much smoother finish.  There are some woods that "weep" so I keep wiping them until they no longer "weep"

Thanks for the pipe cleaner tip.  I'm always looking for ways to clean out the crevices of extra oil.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 06:48:30 am »
Thanks for the ideas. dipping projects would make it a lot easier.  :)

Ben

SMF

Teknoromi