Author Topic: Making picture frames for the first time  (Read 950 times)

Offline stett14

• View Profile
Making picture frames for the first time
« on: March 08, 2012, 09:08:33 pm »
Does anyone have an simple easy way to help me start making my own picture frames for my scroll saw work.  I have looked around and can't find a picture frame that is deep enough for the glass and the 1/8 portrait and backing.  I greatly appreciate all of your help and guidance.

Stett 14

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Re: Making picture frames for the first time
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:26:32 pm »
Take a look at some of the frames available, but consider leaving the glass out......lots of folks prefer to see the wood in a more natural state and without the glare of glass in front of it.

Not much of an answer to your question, but an idea to consider.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:12:47 pm »
If you have a table saw and a router, making a picture frame to suit your needs should not be a problem. If you are lacking these tools, my suggestion would be to glue on (laminate) some 1/8" wood or plywood strips to the back of the frame you have to make it thicker and thereby making the groove deeper.
Just an idea.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:41:12 pm »
Hey John, First, Like Al W, I don't like to use glass. And to keep it simple, I use a stained 1/8" oak plywood as a backer board. That makes the total thickness 1/4". I make my frames simple too. If you have a table saw and a dado blade set, or a router, you can make your frames. I usually use 1/2" to 5/8" thick wood to build the frames. Anywhere form 1" to 1 1/2" wide. I use a miter sled on my table saw to cut the miters, but you can cut them with your miter guage. I cut my rabbits (thats the slot on the edge of the board) with a dado set on the table saw, but it can be cut with a router and a straight bit. I don't cut any profiles on the frames but I do round over the outside edge. Like I said, I like to keep it simple, so I don't reinforce the miter joints. I glue the portrait to the frame and the backer board to the portrait. That way the frame becomes an integral part of the piece.
Here's One I did back in November. Pattern by Grampa.
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:00:36 am »
One thing you can do to simplify the process is buy picture frame molding from the big box stores. All you have to do is cut the miters and glue together.

One thing I do is cover the back of the frame with craft paper. I use hot glue to sort of seal the edge. This covers up any "ugly" spots on the back side.

SMF

Teknoromi