Author Topic: Fonts for name plate  (Read 6132 times)

Offline stett14

• View Profile
Fonts for name plate
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »
What type of font do most of you use on cutting out letters to place someone name on a scroll saw project.?  I am making a project out of red oak for several barbers  and want to place each of their name on their individual project.

I am using Steve's pattern for the "worlds best barber but want to replace the "worlds best barber with their first name.

Do anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Stett 14 from Kansas

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Fonts for name plate
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:43:42 am »
Greetings,
Freefrm721 Blk is on most computers and is a scrollable font so there are no fall-out areas
in the letters.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:23:52 am »
I looked over my fonts and I have one called Chunk five Ex that I downloaded from dafont.com.  This is close to the same font.

If you are doing name plates it will work except you will have to figure out what to do with letters that have decenders.  ie below the line.

Don

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:18:21 am »
Go to fonts 101.com and select a sans serif (no feet) type font. If you change your letters to Small Caps you wont have a problem with the descenders I don't believe.

Offline stett14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 07:52:24 am »
Thanks guys for all your help, I really appreciate it.

God bless

Stett14

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 10:13:15 am »
Have you downloaded Steve Goods "Stencil Printer" yet? If you haven't, I would HIGHLY recommend you do so.
It has so many fonts in it that it is unbelievable! And you can adjust the size of fonts and spacing to how ever you want to.
It may take a bit of learning and time but once you figure it out, you can make almost any lettering you want and print the pattern right off  the computer. Also you can save your pattern (lettering) to your computer for future use.
Sometimes you may have to make two or three different print outs of different words because the most you can do is two lines. I quite often double space between words so that I can cut them out of the printout and arrange them any way that fits the project.
Also, not all the fonts are EXACTLY compatible  for scrolling as there may be floaters but, just a bit of "red pencil" editing will make most of them work.
I use this all the time for inlaying names on box tops etc.

Hope that helps

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 11:37:16 am »
We keep hearing about text manipulation
and I have found that using inkscape is the best, in fact I have just put together a tutorial in word about this following a request from Mike (dunk in another thread
I cannot upload it as the file is too big as it contains  a few screen shots but if any one is interested then just mail me and I will send it to you (1.5mb)
regards
Dave

SMF

Teknoromi