Author Topic: Hawk Belt Troubles  (Read 1955 times)

Kragax

Hawk Belt Troubles
« on: September 23, 2014, 08:58:59 am »
Just a heads up about belts for the Hawk. I ordered a low speed belt for my 220 and waited for it to come from Kansas. It got here yesterday.
It was the wrong belt. :(. It seems they had the part number wrong on thier wesite. Hawk however is sending the right belt today, back in wait mode. So if you need to order a belt in the near future CALL THEM. They will take care of you. Its just listed wrong on the website. I just wanted to save anyone ordering time. They are good folks to do business with.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Re: Hawk Belt Troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:40:36 am »
I needed  replacement belts for my Hegner and it was VERY expensive.  I ordered a different belt on line and got twenty of them for about twice the price of a single Hegner.  I gave some away but still have a pile of them.  My point is:  there are many belts out there that will work.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Kragax

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:22:43 pm »
They are pricey, but that wasn't the issue. They listed the wrong P/N on the website. I wouldn't know where to look for an alternate belt. But the right one should be here tomorrow. :D

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:59:03 pm »
If it twer me, When I got the new belt, I'd take it and the belt you currently have to a store that sells belt and see if they could match them.  If so I bet you will find them much cheaper so the next time you need one, you know.  Course, you may never wear one out.

Kragax

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:59:35 am »
If it twer me, When I got the new belt, I'd take it and the belt you currently have to a store that sells belt and see if they could match them.  If so I bet you will find them much cheaper so the next time you need one, you know.  Course, you may never wear one out.

I don't think there is anything around here except automotive belts. I do know a guy that rebuild electric motors though, I'll talk to him. This saw is setting in the shop burning a hole in my mind. :D Thanks!

Kragax

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:31:28 pm »
Well, The new belt got here. It broke >:(. Now I have to wait for another one to get here. I'm thinking this is going on Craig's list next week. :'(

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 05:17:46 pm »
that's a bummer. did it break in a way similar to the original? do you have something jammed in the mechanism? you should be able to move it by hand - if not, i'd get that fixed before trying another belt.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 09:19:32 pm »
An alternate source for a belt might be your local auto parts store.  I needed belts for my drill press and the parts store people were able to use the original belt to find a generic with the same profile.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:53:53 am »
I agree with Jim. An auto parts store or industrial supply store have more sizes and types of drive belts than you can shake a stick at! That is always my first go to place for ant belt problems.
The only time I've ever had any trouble at all was a drive belt for my Dixon lawnmower. The auto parts house had a belt of the right length (about eight foot long) and they were cheaper than the OEM belts by quite a bit but they just didn't hold up quite as well. Once I broke down and paid the price, I didn't have any more trouble. It was something about the profile in the V drive pulleys that made the difference. Or maybe it was the color...OEM belts were green and aftermarket belts were black!  ;D ;D ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Kragax

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 10:21:36 am »
I contacted Hawk, they were very suprised. Between us we figured it was a bad belt and they are sending a replacement. Bad belts do happen, I have seen it in my working life, It just gets very frustrating. I aske if I could upgrade this saw to variable speed and they said not really. The haven't been able to do it with any reliability. I still have my Ryobi that is excellent condition so I guess I can keep working on the project at hand. ( one of Steve's crosses ) Thanks for letting me vent. :D

SMF

Teknoromi