Author Topic: Since I'm Waiting  (Read 4736 times)

Kragax

Since I'm Waiting
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:10:46 pm »
Since I'm waiting for the low speed belt for my Hawk (has to come from Kansas), I have time to ponder on things. Like for instance if you cut an 8 x10 picture out of 1/4" plywood how do you find a frame to fit it? Should you use glass in front of it? If you use a regular picture frame do you have to use 1/8" plywood? Oh so many questions.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:24:12 pm by Kragax »

pddesertrat

Re: Since I'm Waiting
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:00:28 pm »
If I don't need a fancy frame, like for  a cowboy scene or something, I make it.  If I needed a fancier frame, I'd have to go shopping.  I haven't put glass on the ones I have framed.  The only reason I would want to would be to help keep dust out.  I live in a dusty area.  But I haven't produced anything of showcase quality so I haven't worried about it yet. 

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 07:21:51 pm »
I usually make my own frame so it can be as deep as needed to hold the work. I prefer 1/4" BB Ply for the portrait - more depth to it - and I don't put glass in front.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:31:58 pm »
I do portraits in 1/8" ply. Sometimes I can find a frame that is thick enough for the portrait, backer and glass. If not, I make a frame. I prefer using glass.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:42:21 pm »
I typically use 1/8'' BB ply for portraits and usually find suitable frames at the Dollar Store/Dollar General, etc. 
MOONIE

Offline Fab4

• Go For It
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 04:05:57 am »
You can always buy the frame first and fit whatever thickness wood you need.
Size your portrait accordingly.
If you make your own frames than thickness of the wood you use for portraits
don't really matter.
I'm sure there are places where you can buy frames real cheap
As for glass, I think that falls into the personal preference category.
Fab4
Paul (Fab4)

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 06:28:42 am »
Good morning.
For the contour, i use crust of a tillia Americana and i plane at alf in. thick.
You can see the result in the gallery.
Pierre

Kragax

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 06:21:09 pm »
Thank you all for your responses. :)

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 10:45:29 pm »
All my portraits are 1/8.  If it is worth cutting it is worth saving.  Now try to dust 1/8 thick wood and you are going to have a problem.  So save it by framing and glass.  I try to use mostly non- reflective glass.  A little more expensive but worth it.  You may have to trim your wood to make it fit the frame or you cam make your own. 
good Luck

Offline BeginnerJerry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 10:58:17 pm »
I use 1/4" Baltic Birch for portraits, make my own frames and use acrylic sheets. I also put a dust cover on back of the frame.
Beginner Jerry

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 11:49:02 pm »
I have a nice simple portrait of Jesus and Mary [a John Nelson design] I made for myself. The backing is black pebbled card stock and I don't want to try to remove dust off black - it always smudges on me. So I bought non-glare picture glass.  The size was a problem as you're finding out. So I made a Walnut frame to give a nice margin around them. In my case, the project was for me so I didn't worry about budget for selling purposes.   
PS Good picture frames can sometimes take more time then one wants - away from scrolling - let alone there cost.  Brian

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 11:53:37 pm »
No glass most of the time for me. I feel like covering warm wood with cold glass is a bit like covering a nice sofa in a clear plastic cover.
To me, glass is for photos. Another way to look at it is that you rarely see oil paintings sandwiched behind glass. It takes away from viewing the texture of the painting.

Ray

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 11:55:50 pm »
Oh, and I forgot to add that a simple air duster spray can works great for removing dust in the frets.

Ray

Offline rdatelle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:08 pm »
I've had pretty good luck with nice looking Walmart frames. I do some of my portraits in 1/8 and 1/4 B/B and they fit in the frame  perfect with the glass in. There about $6.00 here in Ga. Make sure you open the back on the frame before you buy it to make sure it's deep enough.
Ralph

SMF

Teknoromi